Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mikegodwin
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Godwin

Backup size based on disk size or disk used?

Post by mikegodwin »

I am getting close to running out of backup space, and I need to either clean up some of our storage or purchase larger storage. Hypothetically, let's say I'm backing up a VM that has 100 GB of used space on a 500 GB volume. If I delete 25 GB of files, then the VM has 75 GB of used space on a 500 GB volume. Will the Veeam backup take up less space after I removed files from the guest OS, or is the backup size based on the volume size (500 GB)?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup size based on disk size or disk used?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Mike,
mikegodwin wrote:Will the Veeam backup take up less space after I removed files from the guest OS, or is the backup size based on the volume size (500 GB)?
It's neither - please review these topics for the explanation of how backup files are created > Remove clients from a backup but VBK file never shrinks and Backup much size larger than used space on VMDK

On a side note, I would recommend taking a look at Veeam ONE, and especially at Veeam B&R integration piece. We have a predefined report template - Backup Repository Capacity Planning. This report will give you an estimation of free space usage, that will allow you to manage your storage resources in a more efficient manner.

Thanks!