Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
withanh
Veteran
Liked: never
Full Name: Darhl

Changed Block Tracking & moving to a new datastore

Post by withanh »

Based on what I'm seeing, I pretty much know the answer to this, but I would like a confirmation (or a rebuttal with a more correct answer).

We backup using CBT over SAN mode. In anticipation of migrating to Exchange 2007, I moved my Exchange 2003 VM to a different datastore. My Exchange backukps usually run about 2.5 to 3 hours, but right now I'm at almost 10 hours and it says there are over 4 hours remaining. I'm guessing that this behavior is because *all* blocks were changed when it moved to the new datastore and as a result VBR is having to re-read all the blocks to see if they really changed or not.

Am I understanding correctly what is going on?
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Changed Block Tracking & moving to a new datastore

Post by Gostev »

Probably not, changes are tracked on VMDK level, not on storage level. So either datastore is really slow, or the job has failed over to network, or something else.
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

Not the datastore, it's a Raid10 on 4 x 300GiB x 15k RPM SAS drives and there's nothing else on that spindle set.

It could be network mode...when I look at the drive configuration on my Veeam server, I can see that one of the drive arrays shows as basic/healthy/primary but also shows as Read Only where the others show as Online. In theory that shouldn't matter since I'm only reading data anyway, but that is one difference that I can see. Is there a way to go back and see which spindle set this drive is associated with?
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Not sure... I know very little about storage :(
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

Well, that was weird for sure, it did the same thing on last night's backup. All the iSCSI connections looked correct, but I decided to reboot the server and tried the job again and it is running in SAN mode now not network mode.

Oh well, at least it's back up to speed!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Great :) Thanks for the update!