Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jakeys1999
Lurker
Liked: never

Veam Cloud backup being overwritten

Post by jakeys1999 »

Hello all,

Currently using Veeam Backup and Replication 7, and cloud backup. Backing up 15 VM's to a local NSF share and then Cloud takes over and copies across the WAN to to a NAS box offsite(SFTP). Veeam is setup for Reversed incremental, high compression, and optimized for WAN. The first backup completes fine and i copy the backups to an external drive and then copy the backups to the NAS, I run the second backup, it completes and Cloud want to copy all the data again. What am I missing here? Veeam Cloud's schedule is set for real-time backups.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Jamie
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veam Cloud backup being overwritten

Post by foggy »

Jamie, by default, Veeam B&R Cloud Edition simply copies the contents of your backup repository, so it will send the entire new full backup file once it is created. That's why using forward incremental mode is preferred over reversed incremental as the latter produces new VBK file during each job run.

However, you can enable experimental block-level changes tracking functionality to have incremental backups.

Btw, why don't you use backup copy jobs to get offsite backup copies? Seems like they would better address what you're after (and with backup copy jobs you can seed the initial backup, just like you're trying to do, as far as I understand).
jakeys1999
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by jakeys1999 »

Thanks for the quick response. I was avoiding forward incremental mode as I would have to create a periodic full backup(please correct me if I am wrong).

As far as the backup copy job, these backups are being copied to an offsite location that is not part of our domain. I was unable to get the backup copy job working to an SFTP site.

Jamie
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

jakeys1999 wrote:Thanks for the quick response. I was avoiding forward incremental mode as I would have to create a periodic full backup(please correct me if I am wrong).
Periodic full backups are generally recommended with any backup method: How often do I need a full backup?