Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
scidoner
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Offhost proxy + backup copy job

Post by scidoner »

Hi :)

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm a tad confused.

I want to configure a backup copy job that goes to offsite storage. A VPN link exists between the two sites.

I have the WAN accelerators configured at both source and target.

The bit I am stuck on is the best way to transport the data. Do I add an offhost proxy and configure a repository via the proxy? Or would it be better to send the backup copy job data over say, an SMB share?

Proxies don't really matter in terms of workload for backup copy jobs since its just data copy but which way is the best to set it up? I would assume using the proxy's repository seeing as over SMB I don't imagine the WAN acceleration would work and as I type this I feel like I'm answering my own question but maybe some clearing up and a clip 'round the ear could help :P

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Offhost proxy + backup copy job

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Proxy servers are not used when you're transmitting data over the WAN connection using Veeam WAN accelerators. All you have to do is to deploy two WAN accelerators and select the target storage for backups. Repository type does not matter here, however reliability wise I would recommend using Windows Server, but not CIFS share.

Thank you!
scidoner
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Post by scidoner »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello,

Proxy servers are not used when you're transmitting data over the WAN connection using Veeam WAN accelerators. All you have to do is to deploy two WAN accelerators and select the target storage for backups. Repository type does not matter here, however reliability wise I would recommend using Windows Server, but not CIFS share.

Thank you!
Thanks, that's how I have it set up. I thought it would use the proxy for a Windows repository so I added it as an offhost Hyper-V proxy, I guess all I had to do was just add a Windows server instead, but the end result is the same (i.e. adding the offhost proxy adds it as a Windows server anyway).

Wow so that means you could really do something stupid like select a local repository like a CIFS share closest to the source but send it out via a WAN accelerator in a remote site!?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Wow so that means you could really do something stupid like select a local repository like a CIFS share closest to the source but send it out via a WAN accelerator in a remote site!?
Unlikely, because backup copy has inbuilt mechanism preventing it from looking restore points in the repository that is specified as backup copy job target. So, it wouldn't be possible to use the same local repository as both "source" and "target" for backup copy job.

However, there might be situations when having specifying two different local repositories for WAN Accelerated backup copy job ("source", "target") results in traffic going back and forth through WAN.

Thanks.