Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
JohnGG
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John G

2 copies of replicas

Post by JohnGG »

gday all, i had been doing single replications with Veeam B&R 7. All went well and everything worked.
The next thing after was to delete the replication jobs and create one and add all the servers in one job instead of 6 seperate jobs
Now the only thing wrong was it started adding a new replica server and redoing the whole 5.4 terabyte replication again, does anyone know how or why it does not detect the Server_replica already on the replica data store and is there a way to force the new replication job to use the ones already there?
I really didnt want to have to replicate the whole data again because it literally took 6 days!.
Cheers
JohnGG
Enthusiast

Re: 2 copies of replicas

Post by JohnGG »

reading some other posts it looks like im going to have to redo the whole thing again, bugger!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

You can use the replica mapping function by enabling "Low connection bandwidth" option on the first screen of the replication job wizard, then on the seeding tab select "Map replicas to existing VMs" and click the "Detect" button, it should map the source VMs to their existing replicas. If for some reason "Detect" doesn't work you can always manually map each source VM to it's replica.
JohnGG
Enthusiast

Post by JohnGG »

Thanks for the reply mate but i ended up redoing them. I think the "Map existing VM's" should be one of the very first options instead of in the Seeding section 3 or 4 steps through the process.
i now know for next time but i didnt want to seed them and to get the option for re-mapping you have to enable the low bandwidth option. We should have the option whether we use it or not.
Maybe thats something for the dev's to think about because when you add the server there should be a button that says "Map to existing" right int hat second screen!

Cheers anyway
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, John,

Typically, users don't utilize this functionality, having more or less decent connection bandwidth to the disaster recovery site. Also, seeding/mapping is one time operation. Therefore, it is not feasible idea to fill the GUI with the settings that are neither used by majority of customers, nor changed on regular basis.

Anyway, thank you for the feedback; much appreciated.
JohnGG
Enthusiast

Post by JohnGG »

Yes i see where you are coming from but im only thinking of if the server acting as the proxy fails, you would have to re-install a copy of Veeam on another machine and then map to the existing VM's.
This is where i can see an option for mapping to existing replica's. Personally, i would have it give you the option as soon as you start a New Replication job (Is this a new job or map to existing job/Option).

Im currently running Veeam on my workstation because it fails to install on 2 productions servers and throws an error as soon as it starts. Its an (Exception.Error) which i see a post on this forum but no one posted a solution so for now i have to use my workstation as the proxy which isnt ideal because i am not connected to a UPS.
I will try to install again when i get more time!.

Cheers JG
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

JohnGG wrote:Yes i see where you are coming from but im only thinking of if the server acting as the proxy fails, you would have to re-install a copy of Veeam on another machine and then map to the existing VM's.
If you have a configuration backup, you would not need to map your jobs to existing replicas after configuration restore.
JohnGG wrote:Im currently running Veeam on my workstation because it fails to install on 2 productions servers and throws an error as soon as it starts. Its an (Exception.Error) which i see a post on this forum but no one posted a solution so for now i have to use my workstation as the proxy which isnt ideal because i am not connected to a UPS.
I will try to install again when i get more time!.
I also recommend contacting support regarding the error you get for faster resolution.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

if the server acting as the proxy fails, you would have to re-install a copy of Veeam on another machine and then map to the existing VM's.
Just to clarify - are talking here about backup proxy server or backup management server? I'm wondering because the unavailability of one certain backup proxy server should not result in replication job failure - it should work fine, as long as there is at least one proxy available.

As to management server failure, then, the configuration backup (mentioned above) would be the way to go.

Thanks.