Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
dtsp
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dmitriy Titov

Very slow backup with zero load

Post by dtsp »

Hello.
I've installed Veeam B&R 7 with latest updates at Windows Server 2012 R2 physical server with a lot of processing, network and memory resources. I try to Veeam Zip virtual machine and get only 1-5 MB/s processing rate. During backup system is totally free, disk queue is empty, a lot of memory available and processor is almost idle. When I stop the job I get load: source 1-5%, proxy 10-15%, network - 0% and target - 0%. Bottlleneck: Proxy.
I've tried to backup the same VMs using Veeam B&R 7 deployed in virtual machine with just 1 vCPU and 2 GB RAM and same version of Windows Server 2012 R2 and I got 30 MB/s despite that is a much slower system.

I have no Idea where to look for solution. I've managed to backup VMs using that physical server some time ago. But once upon a time I've started a job and got slow backup that cannot be accomplished in acceptable time.

Would be appreciated for any help!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Very slow backup with zero load

Post by foggy »

Strange bottleneck stats numbers... What transport mode is used to process this VM by the physical Veeam B&R instance and what kind of connection do you have to the primary VM storage? What kind of storage it is?
dtsp
Novice

Post by dtsp »

foggy wrote:Strange bottleneck stats numbers... What transport mode is used to process this VM by the physical Veeam B&R instance and what kind of connection do you have to the primary VM storage? What kind of storage it is?
Thanks for reply, Alexander!

B&R is installed at physical server with modern hardware and is connected to Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 server with 1GB Ethernet.
Hyper-V server uses iSCSI storage for virtual disks also connected with 1GB Ethernet connection.
Storage is a Linux based server.

I can copy files using SMB from target VM to Backup Server at 100 MB/s (full gigabit ethernet utilization), but backup is just a couple of MB/s. I've installed B&R at VM with the same OS as backup server and it's working pretty fine, that's strange.

I've tried to reinstall B&R, tried to create new backup repository on separate external disk with no success though. :(
dtsp
Novice

Post by dtsp »

And one more thing to mention: I've tried both Off- and On-Host backups as long as different compression methods with no success also.
dtsp
Novice

Post by dtsp »

Thanks to Alexander Fogelson I got support ID: 00549983

Dmitriy Titov
dtsp
Novice

Post by dtsp »

Solved with workaround.
The issue is related to Veeam realy strange networking algorithms. If you use several network adapters at your backup server you would probably fall into troubles because Veeam use just "lower" (arythmeticaly) IP address. Veeam sends that addresss to clients and they are not always can use that IP. So, if your backup server is connected to several networks, for example LAN and Internet, you may not be able to perform backup jobs without modifying network settings. You may have to use PAT or something like that.
If someone has the same problems - write here and I'll try explain workaround.
Veeam engineers promise me to discuss that questuion at meeting, but they never wrote me result.
Dmitriy Titov
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Just to follow up on this, a private fix was implemented for this and is available through support. So everyone feeling they might experience similar issue, is encouraged to contact support directly to confirm behavior and try the solution.