Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ddockter
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Doug Dockter

Can't restore file because path, file name or both too long

Post by ddockter »

We had some malware sneak through our defenses and corrupt .pdf, .xls(x) and .doc(x) files on a network share. In the process of restoring the files, I'm running into the below error for the files in several directories. The only way I can see to recover the files in these directories is to restore the entire vmdk file, attach it to a VM and copy the files. Has anyone else run into this? Have you come across a better way to circumvent it?

"The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters."
luckyinfil
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Re: Can't restore file because path, file name or both too l

Post by luckyinfil »

Seems like cryptolocker is hitting everyone :D
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Have you upgraded to V7? I think this was addressed there.

In the interim, you can start the FLR browser, minimize it, and instead use Windows explorer to restore the files by going to C:\VeeamFLR and browser for the files you want and copying them from there, much easier than the method you are using. This is covered in another thread but I can't find it right now for some reason.
ddockter
Enthusiast

Post by ddockter »

Thanks for the suggestion about FLR. I tried restoring it but got a similar error. I had to restore it to a different location (shorter path name); shorten the file name; and then move it to the original location.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Here is probably the thread Tom is talking about. v7 allows to restore files with long names without any issues, except the Copy To option (will be addressed a bit later). What Veeam B&R version are you using?
ddockter
Enthusiast

Post by ddockter »

Using 6.5. I failed to mention that I'm using the Copy To option so I guess v7 would not help. Thanks for all the replies. I just need to have a talk with a particular person about the ridiculously long directory names they are creating!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Ok, anyway, the workaround suggested by Tom should help (using Windows Explorer to copy files from the C:\VeeamFLR folder after the backup is mounted by FLR session).
adamenko
Lurker
Full Name: Adamenko Delwinsay

Post by adamenko »

I would suggest you to use Long Path Tool. Its an ideal tool for such situations.