Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
electricd7
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Chad Killion

Need example pre-freeze / post scripts for Oracle 11g r2

Post by electricd7 »

Hello,

I am going to start backing up a windows server which is running Oracle 11g R2. Can anyone provide me an example of a working pre-freeze / post-thaw script that I can use to make sure that oracle is in the proper mode for backup when the snapshot is taken? Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Need example pre-freeze / post scripts for Oracle 11g r2

Post by foggy »

Chad, as far as I know, Oracle 11g has VSS writer, so you can back it up with application-aware image processing enabled instead of using pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts.
electricd7
Expert

Post by electricd7 »

Right, but the customer is used to doing the offline backup and would like to continue this process, so I am trying to make the backup process with veeam as close to what they are used to in the physical world as possible.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In this case I believe you can simply initiate procedure of stopping and starting services via Windows cmdline, though since it is possible to do backups without any downtime then why not to leverage this opportunity? ;)
electricd7
Expert

Post by electricd7 »

Keep in mind I am not an Oracle DBA. If I use the VSS method for backing up Oracle, am I able to use my archive logs to get back to a point in time after a restore? Ie, restore VM to last nights full, reply archive logs to get back to 6 hours later? This is the feature which is missing for SQL with Veeam and I am wondering if its missing for Oracle as well? I know currently they do a DB offline, storage snap, DB online, backup from storage snap. I would like to replicate this process if I am unable to reply archive logs after a restore in Veeam.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Point in time restores and logs archiving for Oracle is not available natively, you will be able to restore your Oracle VM to the date and time you have created the restore point to. If you archive logs via 3rd party tools (for example, with RMAN), then you should be able to get back to 6 hours and later after restoring the entire VM. A bit more info can be found in this post > Questions regarding Backup/Recovery of Oracle database

With SQL Server it should be possible to do natively in v8 though, see this blogpost for more info > http://www.veeam.com/blog/the-veeam-exp ... d-sql.html