Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
dsteinschneider
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Doug Steinschneider

Please confirm - on small standalone Hyper-v install on VM

Post by dsteinschneider »

I read in the knowledgebase that if you have a small network that isn't busy off hours that the recommendation is to install B&R on a VM. We deploy single standalone Hyper-v to very small businesses. There are usually 2-3 server VMs (SBS 2008/2011, SQL, Web) and 1-10 Win7 VMs. We often use StorageCraft running on the SBS VM to back up that machine. Recent deployments are Server 2012 R2 Host with a Server 2012 R2 Essentials VM and other above VM's . We are testing 2012 R2 Replication with two 2012 R2 Hyper-v Hosts in our office.

I have Veeam 6 running on a 2008 R2 Hyper-v host (Hyper-v core) backing up two VM's. I'm looking at upgrading that instance to V7 and thinking about removing v6 from the Hyper-v host and instead installing B&R on one of the VM's.

I appreciate anyone's comments on this. Over the years I've found information for our very small business scenarios pretty sparse across the entire Hyper-v online community (although I'm seeing more recently)

Here's the link that recommended installing on VM:
http://www.veeam.com/blog/physical-or-v ... ation.html
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Please confirm - on small standalone Hyper-v install on

Post by veremin »

Hi, Doug,

I can confirm that you can install backup server on any Windows-based machine that meets system requirements specified in our User Guide. Backup server can be, indeed, installed on VM running on Hyper-V host. Just make sure that VB&R configuration is protected.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Please confirm - on small standalone Hyper-v install on

Post by foggy »

And since you're planning to replicate VMs running on 2012 R2, make sure you've patched your v7 installation at least with R2 update for 2012 R2 support.