Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Yoann Castillo
Veeam Software
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Yoann Castillo

Strategie backup to tape

Post by Yoann Castillo »

I've multiple jobs to disk and i would like to create jobs to tape.
My Jobs to disk are in Incremental mode (.vbk + .vib), and there are several .vbk in a job (several retention).
So in my Job to tape there will several .vbk on the Tape...? And only .vbk on tape, not .vib ?

Also, I want to do a FULL backup To Tape once per day. So, all days, Veeam backup to tape all .vbk (even the old ones) in the directory on disk ? Or only news .vbk ?

Thks !
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Strategie backup to tape

Post by Shestakov »

Hello sigmaos,
sigmaos wrote:My Jobs to disk are in Incremental mode (.vbk + .vib), and there are several .vbk in a job (several retention).
Could you clarify what you mean by "several retention"? Does it mean you have several VMs in the backup job?
sigmaos wrote:So in my Job to tape there will several .vbk on the Tape...? And only .vbk on tape, not .vib ?
Jobs to tape are pretty same as jobs to disk-based repository.
If you make full backup of several VMs, you will have several .vbk files. If you use forward incremental mode(reversed incremental doesn`t fit for tapes), you will have .vib files in accordance to your retention policy.
sigmaos wrote:Also, I want to do a FULL backup To Tape once per day. So, all days, Veeam backup to tape all .vbk (even the old ones) in the directory on disk ? Or only news .vbk?
From what you said it`s not really clear what your plan is. As far as I understood you have backup-to-disk jobs. Plus you want those backups to be on a tape.
In the quotation above you wrote that you want to make Full backup-to-tape jobs daily in addition. Is that correct?
Why do you need 2 types of the same backups on the same tape?

Please clarify. Thank you.
Yoann Castillo
Veeam Software

Post by Yoann Castillo »

nshestakov wrote:Could you clarify what you mean by "several retention"? Does it mean you have several VMs in the backup job?
No, there are several .vbk in the directory job.
For example : [VBK--vib vib vib vib vib vib ## VBK--vib vib vib vib vib vib ## VBK--vib vib vib vib vib vib]
sigmaos wrote:As far as I understood you have backup-to-disk jobs. Plus you want those backups to be on a tape.
Yes, it's correct. The backup to Tape is for the data archiving.
In my last message, i wrote errors about job to tape oO ... It's Once per weeks that i want to archive the backup on tape. I'm sorry ... XD

So, the sunday (for example) the full backup job to tape, will take all .vbk present in the directory job ?
How take the last .vbk ? The .vbk last two weeks (for example) have no interest for me.

Thks ! :)
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

sigmaos,
Thanks for the clarification!
me: As far as I understood you have backup-to-disk jobs. Plus you want those backups to be on a tape.
you: Yes, it's correct. The backup to Tape is for the data archiving
you: Once per weeks that i want to archive the backup on tape
...So, the sunday (for example) the full backup job to tape, will take all .vbk present in the directory job ?
Once again, you have Full backup-to-disk on the weekend + daily increments. That`s great.
Regarding backup-to-tape, do you want all same backups to be on your tape OR only Full backups from the weekends?

Both options are available and depend on your backup strategy and capabilities.
Rather than to make another backup job for the same VMs, you can use backup copy job.
sigmaos wrote:How take the last .vbk ? The .vbk last two weeks (for example) have no interest for me.
If you don`t want to keep backup files for a long time, set retention policy accordingly. By default it is set to 14, in a case of daily backups means 2 weeks.

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

sigmaos wrote:So, the sunday (for example) the full backup job to tape, will take all .vbk present in the directory job ?
How take the last .vbk ? The .vbk last two weeks (for example) have no interest for me.
After the initial run, only new and changed files (those that were not copied before) will be copied to tape.
Yoann Castillo
Veeam Software

Post by Yoann Castillo »

foggy wrote:After the initial run, only new and changed files (those that were not copied before) will be copied to tape.
Ok thks foggy.
So, if in the directory backup-to-disk, there are several .vbk ; the first backup-to-tape will take all these .vbk on the tape ? and for next jobs-to-tape, only new and changed files. i think it's ok... :roll:

So, it's the first backup-to-tape who is problematic. :?

Thks.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

sigmaos wrote:So, if in the directory backup-to-disk, there are several .vbk ; the first backup-to-tape will take all these .vbk on the tape ? and for next jobs-to-tape, only new and changed files
First backup-to-tape job will write to a tape all .vbk files it finds on the repository. Since tapes are supposed to keep backups for longer time period, it`s recommended to make more or same number of retention points on tapes as on disks.
Next backup-to-tape runs will write only new .vib and .vbk files. Thanks.