Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
drew.green@tjtpa.com
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Drew Green

Cannot restore specific VM files from 1 VM

Post by drew.green@tjtpa.com »

I am trying to restore the VM files only from a VM. This VM is running Windows Server 2003. I am trying to restore the files to a network share on my desktop. I selected the share as my restore path, and after the restore runs for a few minutes (the VM isn't very large), I see in the shared folder that the files are there, including a 50GB VMDK. Then, the restore progress bar fills up, appearing that the restore is finished, but I am given an error message that says:
-------
Failed to restore VM files
Restore failed
Client error: End of file
Cannot process [restore] command.

Server error: The system cannot find the file specified
Failed to write data to the file [Z:\CCH Tax-flat.vmdk].
Unable to receive file.
--------

When I then check the shared folder, the 50GB VMDK is now only 1KB. I've tried using a UNC path as well as a mapped drive, to no avail. I tried to restore another VMDK using the same method (also running Server 2003), and this one worked fine. What can I do to fix this problem? Is my backup corrupted? I've tried doing this from two different synthetic full backups of this VM, with the same issue each time. Thanks for your help.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Cannot restore specific VM files from 1 VM

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Drew,

As far as I understand you correctly you've tried to restore single vmdk file from two separate successful jobs for the same VM? And both of them failed. What type of virtual disk is that vmdk file? Are you able to do full VM restore from those backups by any chance?

Thank you!
drew.green@tjtpa.com
Enthusiast

The drive is an LSI Logic Parallel SCSI vmdk. I just tried and I was able to restore the VM to the ESXi host.
drew.green@tjtpa.com
Enthusiast

After successfully restoring last night's backup of the specific VM to the ESXi host, I was also able to restore it to my local machine. Not sure what was wrong before, but last night's backup at least seems OK.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Drew,

Glad that you could make it! As for the original issue you can forward all the logs from Help|Support Information to our support team for further investigation.

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Looking at the error I am guessing this could have been temporary network issue as well... but yes, full logs would tell much more.
drew.green@tjtpa.com
Enthusiast

Gostev wrote:Looking at the error I am guessing this could have been temporary network issue as well... but yes, full logs would tell much more.
I don't think it's temporary network issues since I had the same issues repeatedly with the same VMs backups, yet when I tried another VM, it worked fine.