Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
darryl
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Veeam licensing and VMware Remote Office Branch Office

Post by darryl » 1 person likes this post

We've been a Veeam customer since ver5, using it at our central and DR sites.

To this point, we have not virtualized our DC/file/print servers at remote offices, as we haven't had a VMware licensing model which works for us. It would typically be one or maybe two VMs running at a remote site which does not justify paying for a full host license. So all of that has remained physical.

With the announcement from VMware of Remote Office Branch Office license packs, the VMware licensing model now works for our situation. We can just pay by the VM for those hosts running single VMs.

My question - will Veeam introduce a matching per-VM license model to go along with the VMware Remote Office Branch Office packs? I can't justify paying for full CPU licenses for a remote VMware host which is only ever going to run one VM. There are lots of reasons to still virtualize in this case, but so far we've been stopped by licensing concerns. There are likely other organizations in the same situation as us, that have been waiting for a VMware licensing model that makes sense for remotes. But I think we still have an issue on the Veeam side.

Darryl
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Veeam licensing and VMware Remote Office Branch Office

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Darryl. We just did a few weeks ago, at least in North America for sure. Please check with your Veeam sales representative for more information on this new package, as I don't have any details. I just happened to hear about this briefly. Thanks!
darryl
Enthusiast

Post by darryl »

So far no luck in finding out any information on this via sales (I'm in Canada).

Perhaps it will be tied to v8?
jhh
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Johan Hultqvist

Post by jhh »

Any news on this?

Have the same issue with Veeam licensing. Also have one ESX host with one VM per remote site that i would like to backup with our central Veeam Backup and Replication server but with the current licensing model it is too expensive. So i am currently stuck with traditional backup metods for all our branch offices :cry: which means two backup systems to manage and slow and troublesome restores.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi Johan, have you already contacted your sales representative, as suggested by Anton? Thanks.
darryl
Enthusiast

Post by darryl »

Despite trying multiple avenues, I have not been able to find out anything on this.

Since the v8 licensing page is up and does not address this situation, it looks like we won't be virtualizing our remote sites. Or will be looking for a different product to back them up with.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

ROBO package does exist for sure. v8 licensing page does not include all possible licensing packages and offers, since many of them are specific to certain regions. Can you please share what response did you get from your Veeam sales rep, and who was it? I will then forward this to the sales management in Canada. Thanks!
darryl
Enthusiast

Post by darryl »

Gostev,

I did contact sales (more than once) and they did not get back to me. Today I've been forwarded to a different contact, so hopefully we will get some info.

Thanks for following up.
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

Although this topic is almost a year old I want to ask if there are any news regarding the licensing of branch offices; especially in the EMEA area.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I haven't heard anything new in the past year, but frankly speaking I am completely uninvolved with sales, so I don't follow anything sales related closely... best is to check with your Veeam sales rep for sure.
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

Well according to sales there are no other licenses for ROBO so I thought that asking here too wouldn't hurt :)