Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ajtsystems
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James Bennett

Backups slow the network down

Post by ajtsystems »

Hi,

Just some pointers really in the right direction and some questions about which version of Veeam to suit my infrastructure.
OK, basically I am on a trial version of Veeam B&R v7, I have a virtual machine running Veeam with an iSCSI drive presented to it where the backups are stored. When I run veeam backups it kills the network so I need to understand my options.

Does Veeam have the ability to intelligently backup directly to a drive\volume or share if the volume or the drive is running on the same virtual host that the VM is running on? Does Veeam even need to know this or is it something hyper-v will manage. And what if Veeam is on a VM on one host and wants to backup VMs on another host, is there a way to backup the VMs straight to the remote hosts local drive with something like a Veeam agent?
Obviously I will need to change the iSCSI network to a different subnet and use separate switches.

What is the normal accepted way to do this with shared storage?

James
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backups slow the network down

Post by Dima P. »

Hello James,
When I run veeam backups it kills the network so I need to understand my options.
You can create granular traffic rules in VBR. Take a look at the help center article: Managing Network Traffic
And what if Veeam is on a VM on one host and wants to backup VMs on another host, is there a way to backup the VMs straight to the remote hosts local drive with something like a Veeam agent?
You would need to add off host backup proxy, detailed explanations: Adding a Hyper-V Off-Host Backup Proxy
Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Backups slow the network down

Post by Gostev »

Actually, instead of messing with network traffic rules, it might be easier to simply limit backup repository data ingest rate in the backup repository settings. This will implicitly help network load, because backup proxies will be limited with maximum amount of data it is allowed to send to backup repository per second. Thanks!