Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bsoosay
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Benjamin Soosay

Backup Copy

Post by bsoosay »

What exactly does the backup copy do?

Does backup copy make a copy of the latest active full or synthetic full and subsequent incrementals OR does it make a copy of ALL active fulls and synthetic full and all incrementals that are available. (So if retention for the backups are set to 30 days, when Backup copy runs, will it make a copy of all incrementals and 4 weekends of synthetic fulls)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy

Post by foggy »

Hello, Benjamin. Actually neither of those. Backup copy job does not copy files at all but rather synthetically creates restore points on target repository using data available in the source repository. It is always incremental and copies the latest VM state during each synchronization interval.
bsoosay
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Benjamin Soosay

Post by bsoosay »

hi Foggy,

Could you explain this further please? I'm lost.
"Backup copy job does not copy files at all but rather synthetically creates restore points on target repository using data available in the source repository. It is always incremental and copies the latest VM state during each synchronization interval."

What do you mean by "synthetically creates restore points" ?

When you say "it is always incrementals and copies the latest VM state".....what happens if I run synthetic fulls every Saturday? Shouldn't there be a full and incrementals?

My apologies...am rather confused.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Have you read the description I've referred to above?