Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Nautilus
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Nauti

[MERGED] Backup Repository on ESXi Host.... Elevate toRoot F

Post by Nautilus »

We are updating from ESX4 to ESXi 5.01U1

We installed a new vcenter and updated 2 ESXi Hosts.

When i try to install/create a Backup Repositorie on an ESX Host, so i get the message

Failed to login to "Esxi-host" by SSH, Port 22, user "root", elevatetoroot False, autosudo False. User Authentication failed.

When i create a backup to the local DIsk on Veeam, everythink works Fine

Yes, i enabled SSH --> i can make ssh connection from veeam/vcenter to ESXi Host
Yes, password is correct

i opened a ticket but support is sleeping.....
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Re: Backup Repository on ESXi Host.... Elevate toRoot False.

Post by chrisdearden »

Support is online 24/7 for customers with Premium support agreement.

Why are you trying to create a backup repository on a host ? where do you actually want to store your backups ?
Nautilus
Influencer
Full Name: Nauti

Post by Nautilus »

Why on host ?
Because there are a Storage with enough free place :)

i want to store the Backup on this Host, on this Storage.

Because we used this store on this host (with ESX4) and we want to use this on this with ESXi5 too.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

ESXi cannot be used directly as a repository for Veeam (ESXi is not Linux even if it has ssh connection...)
You can use local datastore of an ESXi server by creating a VM on it and use it as a repository. You can use linux distributions or Windows at your will.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

I would be tempted to deploy a virtual storage appliance to use that space to hold the backups, it'll make management a lot easier imo.

Was your ESX4 install a "full fat" install ? ESXi Busybox is not a linux server, hence its probably not supported for use in that way. You would also need PERL , which I dont think is available on that SSH console.
Donny
Lurker
Full Name: Don Booker

[MERGED] Backup VM can't select esxi datastore as target

Post by Donny »

Sure I'm doing something wrong here. I want to backup a vm on one esxi host to another however when I run through the job creation wizard I cannot select a host/datastore I'm only given the option of local storage. What am I doing wrong sure it's something simple...

Cheers
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: ESXi host not listed in destination for backup

Post by dellock6 »

If your target needs to be an ESXi server, you need to create a replica job, not a backup job.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
DrColonel
Novice
Full Name: Kyle Morrow

[MERGED] Datadomain: NFS Mount on ESXi?

Post by DrColonel »

Hi,

I've read several posts on pointing Veeam backups to a Datadomain appliance using a Linux host, but I haven't been able to find an answer to a question I have. Is there any particular reason why I can't just mount the NFS datastore to ESXi and set it up as a repository in Veeam, instead of using a separate Linux VM?

I can't seem to find much info on this. I've called support and was told that it's not supported and not recommended, but was never given a reason why. I asked for documentation but apparently there is none?

If it is possible would Veeam give us support if we went this route?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Kyle, ESXi is not supported as a backup target (not a Linux server). You need to mount the NFS share to a Linux server and add this server to the backup console. Please see this thread for more details.
DrColonel
Novice
Full Name: Kyle Morrow

Re: [MERGED] Datadomain: NFS Mount on ESXi?

Post by DrColonel »

DrColonel wrote:Hi,

I've read several posts on pointing Veeam backups to a Datadomain appliance using a Linux host, but I haven't been able to find an answer to a question I have. Is there any particular reason why I can't just mount the NFS datastore to ESXi and set it up as a repository in Veeam, instead of using a separate Linux VM?

I can't seem to find much info on this. I've called support and was told that it's not supported and not recommended, but was never given a reason why. I asked for documentation but apparently there is none?

If it is possible would Veeam give us support if we went this route?
Thanks for the response, but let me give some clarification. Is there any reason why I cannot mount the NFS share from datadomain as a datastore on the ESXi host, then add a vmdk to my Veeam backup server from that datastore and point the backups to that. That should work. Would that method still be considered unsupported?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This one is definitely supported, however not recommended.
dhallam
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: David Hallam

[MERGED] Backup to ESXi server

Post by dhallam »

Hi I would love some clarification on how to back up to a new esxi server.

Currently we have a production site running 3 esxi servers and a Dr Site running an esx 4 box with local attached storage. Veeam is running in production and has a proxy DR side. Currently Veeam backs up directly to the DR site data stores as it’s added via the managed servers as a Linux server. And then the repositories are added into the Backup repositories.

Now we are upgrading the server and have upgraded to esxi and see that this is now not possible in esxi?

The question is how do I now add the space from the new server (21tb) into Veeam?

Do I have to add this storage as a drive onto a virtual windows server (I do have a veeamproxy windows 2012 server DR side) and then add this to a repo into the Veeam repository’s?

Is there no way to directly connect to the storage via esxi?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

David, ESXi host is not supported as a backup target, please review the thread above for available options.