Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pentana
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Automated VM Backup Jobs

Post by pentana »

Hi,

There are certain VMs that we want the ability to have them burnt onto BluRay DVD's for testing purposes.
Is it possible with Veeam Backup 4.1 to have it create these backup jobs on certain VMs automatically?
I don't want to have to create separate backup jobs for all of them.
I.E I would like vm1 have vm1.vbk and vm2 have vm2.vbk so all the backup files are separate.

Regards,

Terry
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Automated VM Backup Jobs

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Terry,

The only way to have separate files for the backups is to create separate jobs. You may group the VMs you want to test in one job, so it will almost fit your scenario.

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Alternatively, you can use VM Copy job instead, this will put all VMs in the job in separate folders on your target storage (albeit uncompressed).
pentana
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by pentana »

I thought this was possible in Veeam Backup 4.x
Is this ever going to be implemented? It is of great use when you only want to remote replicate (using other means) certain VM's.
Or when you can burn a backup of a VM onto a Bluray Disc or other medium...

Is there anyway to accomplish this?
lethallynx
Influencer
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Justin Kirkby

Post by lethallynx »

Creating separate backup files would mean that the de-duplication would no longer work as with only one VM in the backup file there is nothing to de-dup. I would say this is one of the reasons this functionality was never thought to be needed in Veeam?

Why not just make separate backup jobs (this way you still get compression) or just use the VM Copy feature as suggested above?

Lynx