Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
DonalB
Influencer
Liked: never

Calculate Avg write IO size and total write data?

Post by DonalB »

Hi,

I'm trying to calculate the total amount of data written by a series of VMs and then also a similar view from the datastores underneath these VMs, this is to compare to figures I am getting from the storage array side. I think I need to calculate the average write IO size and then multiple this by the total write IOs.
To get the Avg Write IO size I want to divide the Max Write Speed value by the Max Write Requests value, so I'm changing the data in these sheets on the Veeam Monitor report to summarize by Max and then multiplying the result of the calculation on Max Write Speed / Max Write Requests by 1024 to get the value in KB, this seems to produce quite a low figure.
I then change the Write Requests data to summarize by SUM and then multiply the SUM of Write Requests by the Avg IO Size and divide by 1024 to get the overall amount of MB written. I then divide this by 1024 to get GB written.
My problem is that I'm coming up with some very low figures for some of these values and am worried that I'm not understanding the source data correctly. Can anyone validate by approach or spot any flaws in my logic?

Cheers
DB
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Calculate Avg write IO size and total write data?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Donal,

Could you please provide an example of Monitor screenshots and figures you're using in your calculations?

Thank you!
DonalB
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: Calculate Avg write IO size and total write data?

Post by DonalB »

Hi Vitaly,

Seems I can't add attachments? I have screenshots showing the pages in the Veeam Monitor reports that I'm using and also the types of calcs, I'll try to PM you them if I can.

Cheers
Donal