Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
electricd7
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Chad Killion

Can I write to a repository "pool"?

Post by electricd7 »

Hello,

Looking for a way to solve a problem. I have grown the backups in one environment such that a single repository (SAN) isn't large enough to hold them all. In the old backup exec days, I would simple create a storage-pool and add all of my backup targets to that pool and then repoint all of my jobs to the pool instead of to the target specifically. Is there a way to accomplish this task with Veeam? Seems like it would be hard to manage free space of a growing environment on lots of repositories if there isn't some way to care for this concern. Thanks in advance!

ED7
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Can I write to a repository "pool"?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Chad,

Backup job can only be targeted to a single repository. If you would like to be proactive and monitor consumed space, you can use Capacity planning for backup repositories report in Veeam ONE that will estimate the date when you will run out of free space.

On a side note, you say that the SAN isn't large enough to hold backups created by all jobs, so you should have some other storage available to create a pool of repositories, correct?

Thanks!
electricd7
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Chad Killion

FEATURE REQUEST: Can I write to a repository "pool"?

Post by electricd7 »

We don't have another device with which to use for backups, unfortunately. I would like change this topic into a feature request. I did some more searching and have found others who have asked for this as well. I realize that veeam must store entire files within the same physical storage and loosing an incremental file will invalidate the chain, but this is what other backup products provide. I think it would be useful to allow us to create storage pools of repositories rather than target jobs directly at storage. This would make it easy to replace storage in the future as well. We could remove a repository from a pool (ie, no more backups get written to it, or mark it as read only.), then add a new target and eventually all data on the retired repo would be expired and deleted leaving all data on the new repo. No changes are needed for any jobs using this method as the jobs would target the pool which wouldn't change. Just an idea.

Chad
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Can I write to a repository "pool"?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, your feedback makes total sense and you are right that you're not the only who wants to see this features in the next updates. Thanks again!