Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
trevor cox
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: trevor cox

SCOM Gateway & Veeam Collector

Post by trevor cox »

Hi

I need to incorporate the monitoring of an un-trusted domain into my current SCOM 2007 R2 CU7 environment.
The new infrastructure that I need to monitor includes 16x Vmware ESXi 5.5 hosts, and clearly I'd like to use my existing Veeam deployment (v6.5) to monitor them.
I'll be deploying a SCOM gateway server to handle mutual authentication.

My question is...can I install a Veeam Collector role on the SCOM gateway server?

I couldn't find anything in the Veaam MP documentation and the only forum post is quite old:

http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-managemen ... t6385.html

Many thanks

Trevor Cox
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Re: SCOM Gateway & Veeam Collector

Post by sergey.g »

Hello Trevor,

Yes you can install Veeam Collector on SCOM Gateway or SCOM Management Server, in fact we are recommending to use Management Server because it can perform better with large number of discovered objects. There could be issues with installing Veeam MP 7.0 Extensions Service because it requires SDK service and thus full Management Server, but Veeam Collector doesn't need SDK, so any agent or gateway works.

Thanks.
trevor cox
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: trevor cox

Post by trevor cox »

Thanks

Bearing in mind that the SCOM gateway server will be in an untrusted domain and using certificates for authentication, do I need to do any special configuration for the Veeam Enterprise manager software to be able to contact the Veeam Collector on the SCOM gateway?
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Post by sergey.g »

Hi,

Sorry for a delay in my response. I had to check everything.

Actually, VES doesn't initiate connection with collectors, it's collector who is polling VES from time to time. So account under which Collector service is running should have access to VES (should be in the Veeam Virtualization Extensions Users group). If it's untrusted domain you need to setup same local users on both servers (VES and Collector) with same passwords and run collector under this user.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
And thank you very much for interesting and useful topic.
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin »

Sergey,

In addition, to the account, there should be some open ports.

From the collector to ves this is port 8084, but it seems from ves to the collector some rpc ports should be open:
http://helpcenter.veeam.com/mp/70/vmwar ... ports.html

I'm guessing these are ports 135, 137, 139 etc. Do we have a list of this?

Thanks