Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
m1kkel
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mikkel Nielsen

Veeam Virtual Appliance or network mode

Post by m1kkel »

Hello.

We where using network mode in veeam, and our backups where running slow, because of more and more servers, we could not complete them.

I changed our proxy to virtual appliance mode, ran a test job (new job) and the speed was amazing. 58 MB / sec versus 4 MB. however this was a completely new job.

Now our normal jobs have started to run, and speeds are slow as before.

I was looking in the logs to see if veeam have switched to network mode again, for some reason (failover to this mode is enabled)

However i do not know what to look for - so how do i determine if veeam have run a job in network mode, or virtual appliance mode?

Thanks
m1kkel
Enthusiast

Re: Veeam Virtual Appliance or network mode

Post by m1kkel »

Maybe i should also explain that i was using a different repository for the test job - however it was the same NAS. the NAS have two nic's.

let me explain the setup:

Veeam backup server ip: 192.168.0.50
NAS server ip: 192.168.0.51 and 10.1.50.2 (the virtual servers is on the 10.1.x.x net - a server for each vlan, with full layer 3 routing between all vlans) The test job had a repository on the NAS nic with ip 10.1.50.2

Veeam proxy, two nic's - IP: 192.168.0.230 AND (192.168.5.2 -> connected to a switch with 4 esx servers service consoles. 192.168.5.10 5.11 5.12 5.13)

My esx servers have the following nic's.

Two nic's bundled, and connected as a trunk in our switch.
one nice for service console and vmotion in a seperate switch (192.168.5.x) network.

Maybe the reason the test job was running so fine, was that the esx server could write directly to the NAS on the 10.1.50 net - however in my understanding it is the proxy who is sending the data to the nas, and the proxy should not be able to reach 10.1.50.2 unless it is going FROM 192.168.0.230 -> 192.168.0.1 (firewall) -> DMZ net 10.1.x.x -> NAS.

Maybe i just dont understand what happends in veeam when virtual appliance is selected?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Mikkel, you can check the transport mode that is effectively selected for VM data retrieval in the job Statistics window. If you select the particular VM to the left, you will see the transport mode tag ([nbd] or [hotadd]) right next to the proxy server name.
m1kkel
Enthusiast

Post by m1kkel »

Cool, thanks. Will do that
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If the job fails over to network mode, you may want to review this KB article outlining limitations of using hotadd. Probably some of them apply to your case.
m1kkel
Enthusiast

Post by m1kkel »

foggy wrote:If the job fails over to network mode, you may want to review this KB article outlining limitations of using hotadd. Probably some of them apply to your case.
I think you are right. I can see that the job fails over to NBD. Will read that article. Thanks