Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
HHansen
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Henrik Hansen

Cannot start file to tape backup job

Post by HHansen »

Hi,

I'm testing if the Veeam tape option is good enough to replace our current HP data protector software since we are already using Veeam for many other things.

I've created daily, weekly, monthly and yearly media pools and set up a test file to tape job of 2TB (we normally write around 3TB to tape each day)

But as soon as i start the job, it loads a tape as it should but fails with the message:

Tape library: HP MSL G3 Series 8.60
Used tapes: DIR318L5 [DIR318L5]
Checksum error was detected in CommonBlockHeader, startOffset: 0, endOffset: 52.

Does anyone know this error?

Its a directly attached MSL4048 tape library with 2 tape drives.

Thanks!
HHansen
Influencer

Re: Cannot start file to tape backup job

Post by HHansen »

Support case number is 00678424.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Henrik,

Please check if it happens when the specific loaded tape or with all tape media in the library? Have you tried to perform long erase first?
HHansen
Influencer

Post by HHansen »

d.popov wrote:Hello Henrik,

Please check if it happens when the specific loaded tape or with all tape media in the library? Have you tried to perform long erase first?
Oh, I hadn't seen the erase option, its working now, thanks! :) It's a brand new tape, should all new tapes be erased before use?

And can you somehow make it use both drives in the library? I only have 5 hours to get the 2TB to tape before it has to go offsite, in HP data protector, i created 2 jobs that would run at the same time to make it.

Thanks again!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Great! I guess it might be related to the existing partition on the tape media, but erasing is not necessary on a daily basis – only like a workaround. Please, if you face this issue again with another tape media – open a support case.
And can you somehow make it use both drives in the library?
You can create separate media pools and split backup to tape job, equal to the number of your existing tape drives. In this case drives will be utilized simultaneously, but I wonder how you library is connected to VBR/repository? Thank you
HHansen
Influencer

Post by HHansen »

Ok, so i should have a Daily 1 and 2 or something like that?

My library are connected directly to my VBR server with SAS cables (It's a physical server) and this server has 2 disk enclosures (42TB in all) connected with SAS cables, this is where the data resides.

Support ID was 00678424
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Ok, so i should have a Daily 1 and 2 or something like that?
Yes, you can split source backup jobs into two backup to tape jobs pointed to two different media pool. This approach should allow you to put two drives into use simultaneously.

Thanks.