Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
dgapinski
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dan Gapinski

Version 8 - copy to tape from secondary location?

Post by dgapinski »

Hello,

I am working on a DR / Backup plan where we were hoping to offsite all of our disk data via Data Domains and then copy to tape at our DR site. For v7 B&R, I understand that one may only copy to tape from a primary repository, sort of limiting us to copying to tape at our HQ site. Is that still the case with 8? As a followup question, is there any way to have a DR site Veeam server treat the DR site Data Domain as a primary repository and accomplish the goal?

Thanks for your thoughts.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Version 8 - copy to tape from secondary location?

Post by veremin »

dgapinski wrote:Is that still the case with 8?
No, it is not. Assign repository role to a DR DD, add DR server a tape library connected to as a tape server, and create a backup to tape job selecting DR repository as a source for it. Thanks.
dgapinski
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dan Gapinski

Post by dgapinski »

OK - that answers my followup question - thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

And am I right in assumption that you're going to use DD replication in order to copy files to DR location? If so, don't forget to rescan remote repository prior to running tape job. That will allow backup server to discover restore points copied to the DR repository. Thanks.