Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

How Encryption Works

Post by cffit »

I am looking to use the new encryption feature in v8. If I set encryption on a job, then the job runs for some time, in a few weeks if I go to do a restore of a file or the whole VM will I need to provide the encryption key? Or is that only if I have a new instance of VEEAM that I'd have to provide the key?

If I restore VM files from tape will I need to provide the key if I'm using the instance of VEEAM where I setup the encryption key?

I'm just curious when I would need to provide the key.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Re: How Encryption Works

Post by nefes »

To get all the details about how the encryption works, you can read corresponding help topic.
Short answer to your question is the following: you don't need to enter password on the console, that made a backup, if it was not deleted from that console.
If you import existing backup into other console, or re-import into the same - password is required.
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

So if I have Enterprise Plus, and I have Enterprise Manager setup, keys are "automatically" created there when I create an encrypted backup?

Also, the best practices suggests that you change this key often. Won't that cause issues with backups made with previous keys? I assume at that point you need to keep track of what backups use what key?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Not issues but additional steps.
For instance, say you have backup job with increments and the password has changed once or several times.
So when you are importing a backup file, you will need to specify the whole set of passwords that were used for the files encryption in the chain.
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

So are keys automatically created in Enterprise Manager without me doing a thing? Or do I need to make changes there when I enable encryption?

If I have a backup that is a year old that I need to restore from tape, and the encryption key has changed a few times since then, I'd need to have record of what encryption keys go to which backups correct? That is where I think a best practice of continually changing encryption keys can be dangerous.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

cffit wrote:So are keys automatically created in Enterprise Manager without me doing a thing? Or do I need to make changes there when I enable encryption?
No need for any additional steps, everything is pretty automatic. Probably this description will answer most of the questions.
cffit wrote:If I have a backup that is a year old that I need to restore from tape, and the encryption key has changed a few times since then, I'd need to have record of what encryption keys go to which backups correct? That is where I think a best practice of continually changing encryption keys can be dangerous.
If the backup is not registered in Veeam B&R console anymore or information about the tape is not available in the catalog, then yes, you need to remember all the keys. That is why we've implemented lost password protection.