Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lohelle
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Lars O Helle

backup job hung, unable to log in to server

Post by lohelle »

A customer had a hang in a backup job last night. Veeam hung at "creating snapshot". (vmware did create it). They had to restart the server, and after that they could not login to the server. They sent me the error message ( there are currently no logon servers to service the logon request )
Any idea? We tried to restore the server from the night before, but this gave the same problem. As this is a DC, shouldn't there be some automatic processes happening (active directory restore mode etc)

I will try to get the logs (they have no computer-guys inhouse), but maybe you have some ideas?

The server is a SBS 2008. Veeam VSS was used (job succeded every time except this)
lohelle
Service Provider

Re: backup job hung, unable to log in to server

Post by lohelle »

they did one more test to restore (the backup 3 days ago), and that one automaticly rebooted after restore etc. (login works after that) So there must have been something strange happening to the server sometime after that.

Is is possible to force this "automatic procedure" that happens after a restore? They could log in to the server in safe mode.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Lars,

Can you please confirm that all previous sessions (including that 3 days perriod) of the backup were successfull? Also do you see any errors in the Event log of the vCenter/ESX host at the same time when Veeam hung at "creating snapshot" procedure?

Generally, no manual steps are required to restore a DC. During a DC safe mode boot (Directory Services Restore mode) we ensure Active Directory files are not locked by additional processes like antivirus when VSS restore is being performed, this is fully automated, so could you please clarify what do you mean by forcing this "automatic procedure"?

Actually, as soon as you get all the logs don't hesitate to open a support ticket with us, so that our technical team could troubleshoot your issue further.

Thank you!
lohelle
Service Provider

Post by lohelle »

All where successful (until the hung one). I will check if I can get access to the logs (I problably have to go there and do it my self.. :\ )

I ment: the "stuff" that happends when the server boots the first time after a restore. Can I boot into safe-mode and start this "job" manually? Because the server did not do this automaticly when restoring the 1 day old job.

I will investigate a little bit further, but I guess something not VMware/Veeam related could have happend to the server 3 days ago. A normal reboot COULD maybe have given the same problem.