Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Can Veeam B&R v8 handle tape libraries ...

Post by Didi7 »

with different LTO generations and if yes, how?

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Can Veeam B&R v8 handle tape libraries ...

Post by Dima P. »

Yes, it does starting LTO3 and all above. There is no difference at the backup application level between generations – all handled by the library and the drive drivers in the OS, just make sure your drives have compatibility between used LTO generations and barcode labeling is a must (otherwise it’s so easy to lose track of the tape media generations)
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Ok, I should have asked my question more precise.

I intend to use LTO-6 und LTO-5 drive in one tape library. How is guaranteed, that the LTO-6 drive is not loading LTO-5 tape media, if I put LTO-5 and LTO-6 tape media into the library?

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I don't have a library with different LTO drives at hand. But If I'm not mistaken the library itself will automatically decide to downgrade drives to the oldest LTO (in your case LTO-5) and only those cassettes will be handled by it. Thanks.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

To be honest, I am a Symantec Backup Exec mover and exactly know, what can be done in a library with different LTO-drive generations. It is possible to declare, what types of LTO media can be used in what kind of LTO drive. Here under Veeam B&R v8 I have an MSL2024 from HP with just an LTO-6 drive. I thought about moving a free LTO-5 drive from another MSL2024 library into my upper mentioned library, which is operated with Veeam B&R v8.

Under Symantec Backup Exec I can decide what LTO-drive can use what kind of LTO-media. The only thing I must avoid, is to inventory all tapes but since we use barcodes, this is no longer necessary. So during the backup jobs, every LTO-drive picks the media, that is allowed for it. Or you can simply partition your backup library.

I know that Veeam's B&R v8 tape library support is not as mature as Symantec's solution, but since you started to support tape-backups from v7, it is still an achievement.

I suppose that reasonably using tape libraries with different LTO-drive generations under Veeam B&R v8 is still a callenge or better said not recommended in my opinion.

Since I don't plan to return to Symantec Backup Exec and use Veeam B&R in future, I have no other choice to patiently wait for new features regarding tape support to come.

I wish Veeam could integrate bar code rules and options for LTO-drives to decide what types of LTO media can be used in this drive.

Regards,
Didi7
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Didi7,

Thank you for the detailed explanation – we will look into this! Meanwhile, does your library support partitioning? If yes, you ccould create two logical libraries and separate LTO5 and LTO6 with a number of slots and then use such logical libraries on a Veeam level separately.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Let me check that. I hope to have a reply later!

Regards,
Didi7