Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jadams159
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Justin Adams

Quick question regarding backup copy

Post by jadams159 »

In the Target section of a backup copy job there is a field to specify the number of restore point to keep, and it defaults to 7. However, if one checks the "Keep the following restore points for archival purposes" box and set a retention for 6 weeks and 6 months, which would result in 12 restore points, does that override the # of restore points to keep?

I guess it's a bit confusing because they seem to contradict each other.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Quick question regarding backup copy

Post by veremin »

No, it won't. Kindly, check the corresponding section of our User Guide and this topic for more information regarding GFS mechanism. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

They do not contradict but control different backup copy job retention: the "Restore points to keep" setting controls the simple retention, while the "Keep the following restore points for archival purposes" handles retention of GFS restore points.
jadams159
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Justin Adams

Post by jadams159 »

So if I'm understanding this correctly, I could set # of restore points to keep to 1(or even zero?) and I would eventually still get my 6 weeklies and 6 monthlies. Veeam would just transform the necessary data on each weekly and monthly checkpoint from the backup job.

My goal is to have Backup Job one keep my daily backups(14 days) and I only want backup copy for the GFS policy of 6 weekly and 6 monthly.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Then, set:

14 - Restore points to keep
6 - weekly
6 - monthly

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

jadams159 wrote:So if I'm understanding this correctly, I could set # of restore points to keep to 1(or even zero?) and I would eventually still get my 6 weeklies and 6 monthlies.
Yes, with a small correction that the minimum allowed number of restore points for the backup copy job is 2. But basically, yes, the number of GFS points does not depend on the simple retention.