Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Alveros
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Heinrich Loewen

Restore with v8 doesn't create (excluded) VMDKs

Post by Alveros »

Hello,

we backup only the first disks from our vms, because we use a traditional backupsoftware to save the filesystems and databases.
We don't use the option "Remove excluded disks from VM configuration".

In Veeam Backup & Replication Version 7 the restore create the other VMDKs to.
In Version 8 the restore dosn't create these VMDKs.

My supporter (Case 00685907) tells me, that these behavior was normal, because the old behavior has led to errors in restore procedure.

Anyone used this feature also? Or someone has a good idea how I can create the other VMDKs?

Regards
Alveros
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restore with v8 doesn't create (excluded) VMDKs

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Alveros,

Can you please clarify why don't you use this checkbox? Just trying to understand your scenario.

Thanks!
Alveros
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Heinrich Loewen

Post by Alveros »

We use Veeam to restore the VM with the content of the first disk, witch includes the os and our backup client.

In Version 7 Veeam also creates all VMDKs from a VM. That was comfortable.
The other disks where empty and we create the filesystem and restore the content with our traditional backup client.
Now we must know, how big was the secound or third disk.

Just in case of a desaster, it's much more easier and faster, if Veeam create the VMDKs.

In simple words, we use Veeam to restore the virtual hardware with OS and backup client.
The content (big filesystems, databases, applications) and policies is the job of our other backup software.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It seems like the behavior you were observing in v7 was not intentional, and it was fixed in v8. Creating empty disks while original disks were still in-place (for example, RDMs) could, indeed, be the reason of different issues. In your case I would suggest creating thin disks and then restoring data by 3rd party tool, after that I believe you can shrink that disk to the size you need via vSphere Client.