Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
TommyB
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Backing up Veeam 8.x backup server with endpoint backup?

Post by TommyB »

Before I try to install and do potential damage to my Veeam 8 installation, does anthing speak against using endpoint backup to back up a Veeam backup server ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backing up Veeam 8.x backup server with endpoint backup?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Thomas,

I'm not aware of any potential issues with this ;) Should work fine, besides you always have a Veeam configuration backup (*.bco file) in the local repository of the backup server.

Thanks!
TommyB
Expert

Post by TommyB »

Thank you! well, the .bco file does not really help in re-installing the OS, drivers, applications etc... agreed? :wink:

Currently I'm using a *very* old Intel rack server (nearly 10 years old), that might break down rather sooner than later, but I have a second one (exactly the same hardware, but switched off)... so with a full image and the Veeam Recovery medium I would be in a position to get back to working condition quite fast without the need for additional software lite Acronis or similar...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Oh... yes, in this case entire backup of the computer will come in handy.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thomas,

Please keep in mind that is was designed to backup end-users laptops on the first place. BETA code is pretty solid (we have not received any serious issues so far), but since it is in the BETA state we do not recommended putting in the production evnironemt.
TommyB
Expert

Post by TommyB »

Hi, just came back from holidays the other day and installed endpoint backup on the Veeam server... which went well without errors.

But when setting up the backup job, immediately after "scanning local partitions and volumes" this error shows: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thomas,

What kind of OS / version of B&R are you using? I'm not sure if this will work in the first place although I can't think of a reason why not but it is kind of a specific case :-). If the B&R server is v8 and the OS is at least 2008 R2 (with all the patches), I don't think it should block at that point. If that is the case, could you create a case through the email support system in VEB and let us know?

Thanks

Mike
TommyB
Expert

Post by TommyB »

Mike Resseler wrote:Thomas,

What kind of OS / version of B&R are you using?
Windows 2008 R2 Datacenter SP1

The log file shows the following error, apparently enpoint backup is not able to fill the drive selection tree:

Code: Select all

[08.01.2015 11:31:02] <01> Error    Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.   bei Veeam.EndPoint.Backup.CPredefinedItemsCollection.CreateSystemDriveItem(CShadowVolumesLayout liveLayout)
[08.01.2015 11:31:02] <01> Error       bei Veeam.EndPoint.Backup.CPredefinedItemsCollection..ctor(CShadowVolumesLayout liveLayout)
[08.01.2015 11:31:02] <01> Error       bei Veeam.EndPoint.Backup.UI.EpSourceItemsTreeCtrl.Init(IItem[] includedItems, IItem[] excludedItems, Boolean isVolumesMode, Boolean showSystemItems, CShadowVolumesLayoutCache liveLayoutCache)
[08.01.2015 11:31:02] <01> Error       bei Veeam.EndPoint.Backup.UI.BackupSourceCtrl.FillTree(IItem[] includedItems, IItem[] excludedItems)
[08.01.2015 11:31:02] <01> Error       bei Veeam.EndPoint.Backup.UI.BackupSourceCtrl.Init(IItem[] includedItems, IItem[] excludedItems, String[] includeMasks, String[] excludeMasks, Boolean isVolumesMode, CShadowVolumesLayoutCache liveLayoutCache)
[08.01.2015 11:31:02] <01> Error       bei Veeam.EndPoint.Backup.UI.BackupSourceCtrl.Init4VolumesMode(IItem[] includedItems, CShadowVolumesLayoutCache liveLayoutCache)
[08.01.2015 11:31:02] <01> Error       bei Veeam.EndPoint.Backup.UI.BackupWizard.InitBackupSource4NewJob()
[08.01.2015 11:31:02] <01> Error       bei Veeam.EndPoint.Backup.UI.BackupWizard.InitWizardPages4CreateJob()
[08.01.2015 11:31:02] <01> Error       bei Veeam.EndPoint.Backup.UI.BackupWizard.TryCreateJob(CBackupJob& job, Boolean& run)
[08.01.2015 11:31:02] <01> Error       bei Veeam.EndPoint.Backup.UI.CBackupJobManager.Manage()
[08.01.2015 11:31:02] <01> Error       bei Veeam.EndPoint.Backup.Program.Main(String[] args)
I will submit a case...

regards
Thomas