Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
aschrades
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Adam Schroeder

Backup Error - Failed to read bytes.

Post by aschrades »

Installed Veeam Endpoint backup on my Windows 8.1 Pro PC. The backup goes along but doesn't finish successfully. I get an error like this:

Error: The Operation completed successfully. Failed to read 'xxxxxx' bytes from the device (Received xxxxxxx). Failed to Upload Disk.

I tried 2 backups to a Synology 213J NAS and one backup to a USB external hard drive. Each time received the same error although the amount of bytes always changed. Any ideas?

I submitted a support case on 12\16\14 with logs. Case Number 00707460.

Thanks!

-Adam
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup Error - Failed to read bytes.

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Adam,
Thank you for submitting the case. While support is drilling into the logs can you tell me what was selected as a source for the backup? And this might be a silly one but still, have you tried to reboot the PC after you setup the Endpoint Backup?
aschrades
Service Provider

Post by aschrades »

Hi d.popov,

I have restarted the PC a few times between trying backups. I tried to do some basic troubleshooting steps but didn't have any luck.

I'm doing the volume level backup of the C: which is a Crucial M4 128GB SSD drive. I checked all the VSS writers and they came back clean with no errors.

I do have a D: that is a standard 1TB spinning drive. I'll try running a backup against that volume and see if I have any luck.

Thanks for getting back to me.

-Adam
aschrades
Service Provider

Post by aschrades »

Quick update on this.

I was able to successfully backup the D: volume. After that I rebooted, changed the backup to the C: volume and received the same error. Not sure what to do from here.

Also, its probably worth mentioning, that I've been backing up the C: volume with a different product (storagecraft) and that has been working successfully. I only mention it in case the two products use the same underlying technology for backups (VSS?). That would potentially prove out that VSS isn't the problem with the error I'm receiving.

Thanks for the help and let me know what else I can try or if you need any more information.

-Adam
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Adam,
Thank for the update! I guess now we have to wait for support and QA teams for investigation results.
aschrades
Service Provider

Post by aschrades » 1 person likes this post

Just a quick update on this. I was contacted by support and they sent me a DLL update package and now everything is working great. For anyone else having this same problem there is a solution. I would assume the updates will be rolled into a new version at some point.

-Adam
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, all fixed will be included in the GA version of the product, thanks for the update on your case!