Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Lex

V2V and backup/replication jobs

Post by Lex »

We have to v2v one of the largest machines. From what i have seen with veeam 8 is that if the vmware id changes, the machine is seen as new machine.
How to prevent this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: V2V and backup/replication jobs

Post by foggy »

There's currently no way to avoid this, besides editing Veeam database to match the IDs, which we do not recommend to do without support assistance.
Lex

Post by Lex »

We have full support so one phonecall/rss would solve this?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

If you actually V2V the machine, you have to start backing it up from scratch as the new machine, instead of attempting to match the ID (even with a help of support). Matching can only be done when the only thing that changes about a VM is moRef ID (but actual VM remains exactly the same). Thanks.
Lex

Post by Lex »

V2V is still the same machine, a few thinks change that is true. The only reson is because someone had thin disks in mind while it has to be thick.
So essentially the machine stays the same and the old one isn't comming back, only the disk will be thick and not thin. But even then it is a new machine for veeam?
Lex

Post by Lex »

What would be the best way to update the target after the v2v?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Yes, we refer to VMware MorefID to identify VMs, it's the only stable and guaranteed method.
Even if the VM will be marked as a new one, most of the blocks of the VM itself will be inside the existing job, so I'm expecting anyway a new run of the backup to deduplicate a lot thanks to existing blocks. Maybe you can simply let the job run and see if the deduplication ratios will be good anyway...
Also, honestly I don't see thin/thick disks to affect block changes to be honest.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Lex

Post by Lex »

Well, done the big step this year. It took Veeam just 2 and a half days to replicate the V2V machine using all bandwith available during those days. In my humble knowledge, that's a full replication job without the use of any of the off-site dedupe blocks. The whole machine should have been in the cache (see my post about wan accelerator cache usage) sinds the V2V machine is exactly the same as the original.

Don't know if that is working as designed or not.