Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dlesterabecu
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Derek Lester

Best design options for Backup Proxies

Post by dlesterabecu »

Hello All,

We are in the early steps of implementing Veeam V8, and I'm hoping the community can assist me. We are planning to use a VM for Veeam B&R, but we purchased two physical servers with HBAs to implement our Proxies on, since we use 3PAR storage and have the ability to utilize Storage Snapshots. Here's where we hit a brick wall. We want to use one repository for all our backups, but we aren't sure how that works spanned across two proxies without utilizing the LAN to transport data to the proxy running the repository service. We've considered sharing a LUN using Windows Cluster File Services/System, but we aren't sure its the correct solution. Has anyone here encountered something similar, and if so what did you do to implement this? If we're way off track and need to rethink this (which is far from impossible :D ) what should we rethink?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Best design options for Backup Proxies

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Derek,

Yes, if you want an HA repository, then backup traffic will go over LAN from proxy servers. Take a look a this topic - backup repository HA solution (see in the middle of #2 section), might be helpful.

Thanks!
dlesterabecu
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Derek Lester

Post by dlesterabecu »

Thanks, that thread has a lot of great information to review. I'm wondering though how to relate it to our SAN environment, versus a JBOD/NAS style storage environment.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Just to be sure – are you going to utilize additional 3PAR storage as a repository and willing to make both Direct SAN proxy servers write to it? Thanks.