Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Xelsior
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Gavin BOshell

Reverse Incremental to tape

Post by Xelsior »

Hi All,

This is probably an easy enough one but I havent been able to find anything on this specifically.
We do reverse incremental and go to tape every day. In the tape job we have the Process incremental backup files option selected.
Because we go to tape every day it should just be the full vbk file to tape and the vrb should not be copied even with this option enabled. which is what is happening.
My question is that if for some reason we do not go to tape for a number of days, the next time we do go to tape it will obviously get the vbk file but should it not also copy the vrb files for the days we did not go to tape due to the fact it has this option selected or is this option only referring to vib files.

essentially if we do not go to tape for 3 consecutive days (Tues - Thurs) and then start going to tape again on Friday.
I would imagine what we should get on tape is the vbk from friday and the 3 vrb's from Tuesday - Thursday.
Am I wrong in my thinking here and if so does that mean the only way to get the data from these days would be to do a one off job selecting the files themselves.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Reverse Incremental to tape

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Gavin. What product version and build number are you using?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Reverse Incremental to tape

Post by Dima P. »

.vrbs are skipped even if the backup to incremental media pool was selected. By the way, you may find this thread interesting as it describes all the best practices for Reverse Incremental to tape

In addition if you are running v8 please make sure you have installed patch 1. Thank you.