Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
timmi2704
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Timo Brandt

Two backup servers use one tape server

Post by timmi2704 »

Good morning,

I will ask my short question first:
Is there any way of using a physical server connected to two FC tape libraries with the installed Veeam tape server service on more than one Veeam Backup Server?

The background:
My plan is to use a physical server connected to two tape libraries at a remote location.
I would like to use one of these libraries with a backup server at the headquarter and the other library with another backup server in the headquarter.
Is there a possibility of doing this without having two physical servers at the remote location?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Two backup servers use one tape server

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Timo,
Yes you can by installing a tape proxy on a remote windows server.
I would like to use one of these libraries with a backup server at the headquarter and the other library with another backup server in the headquarter.
Please, bear in mind that one backup server cant use a tape library attached to another backup server.
timmi2704
Expert

Post by timmi2704 »

Thanks for your quick reply, Dmitry.

The tape proxy server has two libraries connected (No Veeam installation, only the tape proxy).
So there is no possibility to use each of these libraries on two different Veeam backup servers?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Two vackup servers use one tape server

Post by foggy »

Tape server cannot be shared between multiple backup servers. Unlike proxy servers, both backup servers will connect to the same service installed on the tape server, so at each moment in time, tape server can be "owned" by a single backup server. You can probably script tape server owner change prior to using this or that console (by re-adding it to the console), however this is not recommended.
timmi2704
Expert

Post by timmi2704 »

Ok, foggy. Thanks :-)

There is no chance to install two proxie services with each service handling only one of the libries?

I'm just trying to avoid to have two physical servers at this location.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Timo,
There is no chance to install two proxie services with each service handling only one of the libries?
That’s correct. Remote tape library role (and component) should be installed per server, so having two tape proxies on one windows machine is not supported.