Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jodo234
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Martin

Problem with Linux (Ubuntu) in Sure Bachup

Post by jodo234 »

Hello,

we have 2x ESXi 5.5 U1 running and Veeam B&R 8.0 Patch 1 for our backups and backup testing.
We updated to Veeam 8.0 Patch 1 last week, before we were running on 7.0 with latest Patch. To test our backups and for environemnts we also use Sure Backup. This all worked fine with B&R 7.0 for Windows and Linux.
After upgrading to 8.0 Patch 1 we removed all Virtual Labs, Application Groups and Sure Backup Jobs to start from scratch with a proxy appliance from the new 8.0-version of B&R. We used the same settings for the new Virtual Lab as before.
Now we have problems with our linux Sure Backup jobs. Those Linux machines (Ubuntu LTS 12.04 and 14.04) won't start properly within the given bounds. They are slow as hell and don't boot up within 600seconds as they usually did. Some also show the following error during boot: The disk drive of /tmp is not ready yet or not present.
We installed a test storage with some SSDs to check if this is a storage performance error, but nothing changes.

Any ideas on that? Something went wrong during update to 8.0 or maybe some parameters on ESXi not set up right? Our backups are running successfully.
jodo234
Influencer

Re: Problem with Linux (Ubuntu) in Sure Bachup

Post by jodo234 »

We also opened a case for this: 00736160
jodo234
Influencer

Post by jodo234 »

We just found out that this "bug" only appears on our Ubuntu 14.04 LTS machines. All older VMs with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Debian, etc. dont make any trouble.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

Do you use default vmware tools or open ones?
Does your source host have the same ESXi version as target one, or they are different?
jodo234
Influencer

Post by jodo234 »

Hi,

we tested both openvm-tools, original VMware tools and vmware-tools-esx-nox, the SureBackup is running on the same Host as the source VM.
If I add "tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0" to the /etc/fstab the "skip to continue" message disappears (weired anyway...). But then I still have the problem that the machine consumes 100% CPU the whole time and doesnt get to the login prompt.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

1. Speaking about /tmp partition - what disk is physically present under it? Any chance it is on some independent disk, that is not backed up?
2. Speaking about performance - I've googled some complaints on Unity in 14.04 being slow on VMware virtual machines. Could you please try to compare configuration of your original and surebackup-ed VMs, especially according CPU and video settings? Maybe some performance tweak been made on original VM is not preserved by SureBackup?

It is also worth opening support case to allow our support enginneers help you troubleshoot this further.
jodo234
Influencer

Post by jodo234 »

Hi,

/tmp has no entry in the /etc/fstab file, its created on boot. If I create an entry for it (tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0) it doesnt matter, doesnt work anyway. At the moment I have that problem with /boot, /var/log, too. In the backup job I checked backing up all disks, no exclusions.
Regarding performance, I will investigate this, if there are any changes between the original fast machine and the one booted in SureBackup. And I already created a support case as I stated in my second post :>