Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
pswenson
Novice
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Paul Swenson

Bug Report: Console won’t start from start menu if running

Post by pswenson »

If the Veeam Endpoint Backup is already running in the task bar and you choose “Veeam Endpoint Backup” from the Start menu, it displays “Veeam Endpoint Backup try application is already running for user DOMAIN\user”. Many other try applications will use that cue to pop up the console window even if it is already running, rather than presenting an error. It would be better if trying to run the tray application while it is already running would instead of printing this error, actually pop up the console from the currently running instance (or bring it forward if it is already visible but hidden).
Paul Swenson, CISSP
Science and Planetary Operations Control Center
Ground Data Systems Lead
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Bug Report: Console won’t start from start menu if runni

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Paul,
Imagine you have multiple users on one machine - such ‘opening check’ is necessary for sharing Endpoint application between multiple users within one PC.
alphanimal
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Albrecht

Veeam Endpoint Backup tray application is already runnin

Post by alphanimal »

This message pops up when I try to start Veeam Endpoint Backup from the start menu.
Veeam Endpoint Backup tray application is already running for user x
Instead of displaying the message it would be helpful to simply show the main window of the already running instance
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Daniel,
Were you trying to open the Endpoint control panel for the second time or it was previously launched by another user? Thank you.
pswenson
Novice
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Paul Swenson

Post by pswenson »

I'm still not sure why bringing up multiple instances of the console would be an issue, shouldn't all the stuff relating to backup jobs be running as a service, not relying on the console, which is just the configuration GUI for modifying / querying status on jobs? Why would it be invalid for a second user to bring up the console to check on backup job status, just because I was logged in (which caused it to start in the taskbar)?
Paul Swenson, CISSP
Science and Planetary Operations Control Center
Ground Data Systems Lead
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Paul,
why bringing up multiple instances of the console would be an issue
The backup service is running under system account, so if multiple users start to change the backup configuration or application behavior we need to ensure that this changes would not happen simultaneously. I got your point and will check if we can enhance the existing behavior with the dev team.

It looks like you have multiple users accessing the same workstation and you want them to control the backup application, right?
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Post by ninjaburn81 »

Dmitry:

What about doing what happens when two ppl RDP into the same session? First person in gets booted with a notice saying what happened. Second person doesn't even GET notice and just goes on their merry way. Since we are assuming these are endpoints running Windows 7/8, the odds are the first person with the GUI up is not working on the machine at the moment, their session is simply logged in; thus they wouldn't notice (nor probably care) if the GUI was closed when they were away.

Now if what is Paul is relating is an issue with multiple ppl RDP'ing into a server, then that is a whole 'nother can of worms...
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Quickly checked on Win 8.1 tablet. With multiple users logged in you can open control panel from tray on the behalf on any user, the limitation affects only the configuration wizard (maybe others – will confirm tomorrow)
ciarpame
Novice
Full Name: Franco Fassio

Post by ciarpame »

A few minutes ago on a Windows 7 PC I tried to open the console from the tray but I did not find the icon (of course I checked between the hidden icons). So I launched the program from the start menu but I received a message stating that it was already running (sorry, I do not remember the exact phrase).
In order to see the console I had to kill veem.endpoint.tray.exe and then launch the program from the start menu again.
The PC is powered on since 24/3, daily backups are regular.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Are you running RC version of the Endpoint? I had the same behavior myself when using beta.
ciarpame
Novice
Full Name: Franco Fassio

Post by ciarpame »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Are you running RC version of the Endpoint? I had the same behavior myself when using beta.
Yes I'm running the RC version. I previously used the beta, I moved to the RC version a few days after its availability, I suppose there are not leftover issues.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you see any events in Windows event log about WMI service being restarted at the middle of the night? Can you please check that?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Franco,
In addition, could you perform a following test: right click the notification area > properties > customize notification icons – set always show all icons and notification on the taskbar. Reboot the PC( Endpoint should be up and running after reboot) and leave the machine working for the time period suitable for you (bigger the better). Let us know if you can confirm the said behavior again. Thanks.