Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vu1341
Novice
Liked: never

Search function in Backup Enterprise Manager

Post by vu1341 »

Hi,

I am using the Search function in Backup Enterprise Manager very often and it helps me a lot
for finding deleted files of my users.
But sometimes I have to search for foldernames and I dont know any content of the folder (filetypes or filenames).
There is no search result if I use the foldername but with the browse function I will find this folder (after a while).
Is there a trick to find subdirs with search function?

thanks
michael
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Search function in Backup Enterprise Manager

Post by foggy »

Michael, currently there's no ability to search for folder names. But thanks for the feedback!
vu1341
Novice

Post by vu1341 »

Hello foggy,

Thank you for your quick answer.
Maybe it is realized in Vs 7.1? :D

regards
michael
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I haven't heard anything about that so far.
okrehan
Service Provider
Full Name: Oliver Krehan

[MERGED] Guest file indexing - search for folders

Post by okrehan »

Hi all,

haven't found an answer to this question neither in the forum nor in the guides. Does Enterpirse Manager include the functionality to also search for folders?
Especially when backing up file servers you probably have to search for deleted folders where the users only know the folder name but none of the file names inside this folder.

Regards,
Oliver
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the feedback, but currently it is not possible to search for folder names.
Meyercord
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: AJ Meyercord

[MERGED] Search for folders by name

Post by Meyercord »

Is there a way to search for folders using the File search utility? For example, if an entire folder was deleted, how can I find it in the inventory? When I tried, it seemed that I could only search for individual filenames.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Search for folders by name

Post by Shestakov »

Hello AJ,
Could you specify your question, please?
Do you mean search in Veeam One for folders of the backup up VMs in the backup files?
If so, you can do it with Enterprise Manager, assuming you enabled indexing.
If you meant VMware Folders used for grouping VMs, Templates etc. you can use Veeam One Search tool.
Thanks.
Meyercord
Enthusiast

Re: Search for folders by name

Post by Meyercord »

I'm referring to Backup Enterprise Manager. I am trying to search for a Windows file folder which was backed up on an indexed VM. When I perform a search, only filenames matching my search term are returned, not folders. If I expand the Advanced search form, I can choose a "Type", but this only allows me to specify file extensions. How do I search the index for a folder by name?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

There's still no ability to search for folders.
Meyercord
Enthusiast

Post by Meyercord »

That seems like quite an oversight. Isn't it likely that users would need to restore a file folder and might need to search the catalog to determine the available restore points?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, this is certainly somewhat likely, so this has been tracked as a feature request for the future releases, and will be eventually delivered based on priorities and available resources in the corresponding dev team. Note that until the last month, we've only had a single request for this feature in 6 years since we've introduced guest file system search, which basically determined the priority of the initial feature request by OP. Thanks!
larimerE
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Elaine den Hoed

Post by larimerE »

Where do I post feature requests?
I vote yes on searching for folders.
I am finding the enterprise manager search very klugi. I try to search multiple dates and it is like it times out after so many files are found.
I vote yes search for folder. I vote yes to make it actually useable for a wide range of dates .. remember it is very unlikely users know the real name of their file or when it was deleted.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Hi,
there is no dedicated area for feature request, as the entire forums are monitored by product management, so basically you just asked for a new feature ;)

Thanks,
Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
cschmidt
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Christof Schmidt

[MERGED] Search for folders in Enterprise Manager feature

Post by cschmidt » 2 people like this post

Hi there,

I noticed that it is only possible to search for files in the Enterprise Manager of Veeam backup & Replication.
Last week I had to restore a folder that someone deleted accidentially in the past. The date when the folder was deleted was not clear, so I could not jump on a certain backup and just restore the folder from that particular backup.
Instead I had to search manually in a couple of backups and luckily I faound the last backup when the folder was there very quick.

However, this feature would be very helpful in the Enterprise Manager.
Sometimes it is only a file that needs to be restored, sometimes a whole VM. But also sometimes a folder needs to be retrieved and this is very hard with Veeam Enterprise Manger until now.

Thanks,
Christof
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for the feedback, Christof. As you can see from this thread, this feature is already on our radar.
smortimer2000
Lurker

Post by smortimer2000 »

Agreed. I'm currently struggling to find a folder in Backup Enterprise Manager without the ability to search for folders.
philfreund
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Freund

[MERGED] Find/Restore Folders from uncertain backup

Post by philfreund » 1 person likes this post

We just ran across a problem that is all too common for us.

Scenario: A user has deleted a folder sometime “recently” and would like it restored. We know the name of the folder and where it used to be. How do we do one search to find the most recent backup of the deleted folder so we can restore it? Guest file indexing is enabled on the backup job.

I have tried using the Files function on Enterprise Manager to do a search but it doesn't handle folders. The only way to do this seems to be to mount each restore point and drill down in it to see if the folder is there. That's really time consuming, especially since "recent" can actually be several weeks in the past.

Sadly, we do this all the time with TSM but since we are switching completely to Veeam B&R, that won't be an option soon. Is this capability being added soon?
SvenConrad
Novice
Full Name: Sven Conrad

Post by SvenConrad »

Hello,

We are currently using NetBackup to backup all of our servers, including our main Fileservers with several millions of files. I am currently testing Veeam as an replacement, but I am also missing a solution to the very common use case of a "lost folder". Everyone who had to support users with lost files and folders before knows how vague the remaining information about the lost files can be ("I know that at the end of 2013 there was a folder about project XY somewhere on this server!"). This seems like an essential feature to me - not needed very often, but if you need it, it possible saves you hours of browsing old and archived backups manually.

So +1 for the "folder search on indexed guests" from my side.
emiller
Novice
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Compare Current VM Guest Files

Post by emiller »

I appreciate the power of Veeam Backup & Replication, but miss a feature from our previous backup solution.

Users often do not know the name or even folder location of a guest file they want restored, or when it was deleted or modified.
By mounting the current VM and showing guest files, and comparing this to restore points, VBR could show what files have been deleted or modified, thus making it easier for me to find the file to restore. Ideally, I could select a starting date and be presented with all file deletions or modifications (compared to the present) found (or missing) in all restore points for that time period.

I realize this is a very restore-centric approach, but restoreability is the reason for backup.
mr-tin
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Post by mr-tin » 1 person likes this post

We too require the ability to search for Folder Names, please :!:
PhungMinh
Novice
Full Name: Ha Minh Phung

Post by PhungMinh »

I see that Backup Enterprise Manager doesn't have Search by vApp function (now I'm using ver 9.5). Is there any clues that version 10 (intended launching at October) will have this feature or it will not?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This was not considered as part of v10, as far as I know.
McClane
Expert
Liked: 11 times

Post by McClane »

Why does such a simple feature needs 6 years to be implemented? I have a lot more deleted or missing folders than files in my restore request. I waste hours to crawl through backup points every month to find a folder because I don't have any other information sometimes.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

It is just a matter of priority. Even a tiny feature will take years to squeeze into provided the priority is low.
pkuikman
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Peter Kuikman

Post by pkuikman »

The Enterprise Manager Self Service Restore is only capable in restoring complete VM's or files only. You are not able to restore a folder. This restore of folders function should be a basic functionality and makes the Enterprise Self Service restore pretty much useless.

Is this something that could be put on the roadmap for EM?
pkuikman
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Peter Kuikman

Post by pkuikman » 1 person likes this post

pkuikman wrote:The Enterprise Manager Self Service Restore is only capable in restoring complete VM's or files only. You are not able to restore a folder. This restore of folders function should be a basic functionality and makes the Enterprise Self Service restore pretty much useless.
For anybody else having this "Problem", you can simply right click in the tree and click restore. I overlooked the right click :D