Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
collinp
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Collin P

Job Processing Time

Post by collinp »

I have noticed that after upgrading to 7.0.0.871, my jobs take longer to process. I am running onhost with the MS VSS provider. The jobs pause for quite some time on the "updating auxiliary data backup_doc" and "updating auxiliary data writer_doc" before the backups again. Are there some extra checks on the backup process with the latest patch?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Job Processing Time

Post by veremin »

Apart from updating backup server, have there been any changes introduced recently in your environment?
The jobs pause for quite some time on the "updating auxiliary data backup_doc" and "updating auxiliary data writer_doc" before the backups again
Are these steps indicated in the GUI as the ones that take most time? Have they taken less time previously?

Thanks.
collinp
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Collin P

Post by collinp »

Nothing has been changed. The jobs process quickly at the beginning of the backup window and then as jobs pile on to where there are 15 jobs or more running simultaneously, most Hyper-v and VMware jobs hang with the messages updating auxiliary data... If I reboot the B&R server, the jobs begin processing quickly again. I currently have concurrent tasks set to 2 on each Hyper-v host and max snapshots per CSV also set at 2.

A strange twist is I enabled Parallel Processing last night and the jobs processed more timely and I did not get the hangs on updating auxiliary data... Something is happening when more and more simultaneous jobs pile up (even though I have throttles in place). Parallel processing made the jobs run quicker and less jobs piled up as a result.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

According to the QA team, there might be multiple reasons of job hanging during the said step, one of which is long backup chain, etc. However, it's hard to say which one appears in your particular case.

Thus, if you can't cope with job updating auxiliary data slowly, then, you should open a ticket with our support team and let them observe live performance.

Thanks.
electro
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Justinas

[MERGED] : Backup and Restore 8 patch 1 issues, caseID 00817

Post by electro »

Hello,
I didn't find any topic about problems with the v8 patch 1 issues. Maybe someone could help me. I have a cluster of two Windows server 2012 R2 hosts, their are running 13 virtual machines. Veeam is installed on a virtual machine with Windows server 2012 R2 with latest updates, backup repository is a VHDX disk attached via SCSI controller.
So recently i updated veeam backup and restore 8.0.0.0.817 version to 8.0.0.0.917 and issues began that installation day. After updating my backup got stuck on "updating auxiliary data writer_doc", after 14 hours of waiting I canceled that backup task. I created a new task with to backup only one VM. It got stuck on procesing, procesing speed just dropped and that's all. No errors, events or what so ever. Tried to uncheck The "Enable application-aware procesing" and "Enable guest file system indexing", still backup task hangs.
By the way both hosts have latest windows updates and all updates that veeam recommends.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Justinas,

Unfortunately, OP has never come back to update the topic with found resolution. Neither has he provided his support ticket number, so, I can't track the case. Thus, keep working with the support team on addressing that.

By the way, as you can see, the problem of slow update of auxiliary data has been reported before, so, I doubt that is directly related to version 8 patch 1.

Thanks.
feelgoodeule
Influencer
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Michael

[MERGED] BackupJob hangs at "Updating auxiliary data writer_

Post by feelgoodeule »

Somebody can give me a hint on this one?

Setting:
Hyper-V Cluster to back up, backupserver still with Veeam B&R Version 7.0.0.871

Issue:
Some VM (Windows Server 2012, Windows 2008 R2 with Oracle on them) stuck when beeing processed. The last step I see in the details of the running backup: "Updating auxiliary data writer_doc", a warning before that saying "Failed to flush change tracking data. "
The backup of the particulary VM gets stucked with that, leaving other VMs in the same Job "pending". So I don't have any Backup, the whole job is freezed, I have to cancel the job.
If I create a new job with just the erroneous VM, same result. If I create a new job with the same settings for another VM , everything is fine.

We face this behaviour since the last weekend without having changed neither the VM (last booted months ago), nor the backupserver. Before that everything went fine.

Any help appreciated, I have not opened a support case yet.

Michael
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Michael,
Unfortunately, I need to ask you to open a support case. Once the issue is resolved, please, get back to this discussion. Thanks in advance.
feelgoodeule
Influencer
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by feelgoodeule »

Hello Dima,

Here is the Case # 00943173

In the meantime I updated to Veeam B&R v8 U2b. Same thing.
I found out, that the problem only exists when I add VMs through SCVMM-Host-VM. When I add directly the Hosts, the same VM gets backed up. Still it is not clear too, what made the issue appear suddenly, after months of smooth functioning.

I still have no response from the support team, they hoped that the update would do the trick.
But it didn't.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Michael,
Thank you for the heads-up! I am quite surprised that update to the latest version did not solve the issue. I’ve noticed you have uploaded the fresh portion of debug logs – let’s await for support’s team investigation results.