Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bar971
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Christian

Daily tape jobs problem

Post by bar971 »

I've one standalone tape drive and my goal is to have one 'file to tape' job starting 7.00 PM and a 'backup to tape' to tape job starting after the 'vmware backup' job all two in a same tape in a daily job.
I've creade a media pool with a retention of 6 days and selected to not create a new media set.

What happen now is that every day the job are appended, this way after some week my monday tape (as example but it happens for every day tape ) getting full and job wait for new tape without overwrite the out of retention time tape.

I've tryed to change to 'automatically create a new media set daily at 6.00 PM' but this way only the 'file to tape' job works because the second one, the 'backup to tape', asking for new tape because it find overwrite protected the tape.

What can I do to have first job to overwrite on free tape (tape not in retention window) and the second job append to same tape?

Thank you very much to all.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Daily tape jobs problem

Post by veremin »

In the way I see it, with continuous mediaset and two jobs being pointed to one media pool it should work fine. Thus, the below mentioned situation looks unexpected and you'd better open a case with support team in order to investigate that closely.
What happen now is that every day the job are appended, this way after some week my monday tape (as example but it happens for every day tape ) getting full and job wait for new tape without overwrite the out of retention time tape.