Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Using Veeam to write VM backup copy job to tape drive ?

Post by albertwt »

Folks,

Has anyone here ever configure or use Veeam to write to tape library ?

I’m using Veeam Backup & Replication 8.0.0.917 and also the existing legacy Symantec Backup Exec 2012 installed on the same physical server in my HQ site to write all of the Veeam Backup job copy to HP LTO Tape library for Disaster recovery purpose.

So the data flow is like this:
VMware VM ]---Backup by VBR --> Data Centre backup repository server ]--- Backup copy job by VBR --> Head Office backup / media server ]--- write to tape by BE --> tape drive sent offsite.
Therefore in the event of disaster strikes the Data Centre, we can rebuild the environment by reversing the process above.

I wonder if Veeam Backup and Replication v8.0 can simplify the process above or can actually write to tape so that I can decommission Symantec Backup Exec 2012 fully ?

Any kind of suggestion to simplify the above process would be greatly appreciated.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Using Veeam to write VM backup copy job to tape drive ?

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Alber,

Sure, its possible. With Veeam B&R native tape functionality, you can backup regular backups or backup copy files. In addition, you can connect remotely installed tape library to your existing VBR console.

Please check Working with Tape Media help center page for more details and let us know if you need any further assistance.
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Post by albertwt »

d.popov wrote:Hello Alber,

Sure, its possible. With Veeam B&R native tape functionality, you can backup regular backups or backup copy files. In addition, you can connect remotely installed tape library to your existing VBR console.

Please check Working with Tape Media help center page for more details and let us know if you need any further assistance.
Thank you for the quick reply Mr. Popov,

So in this case, what type of data or backup can be put into Tape or can be imported from the tape ?
what's the best practice or the usual scenario that Veeam recommends for this type of backup & recovery ?
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Install tape server role on the server tape library is attached to, create a backup to tape job and select existing backup copy job as its source.