Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
angelov72
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam, Dell Equallogic and Tape Dell TL 2000

Post by angelov72 »

Hi all,

I need some advice about a new backup environment that I am building.

The components are:

1. Veeam 8 on a physical server with 2 quad core CPU and 16 GB RAM
2. 2 x Dell PS6100x storage
3. Dell TL2000 tape library with iSCSI bridge card

Questions:

1. Should I use exclusive or non-exclusive drivers? Library will be used only by Veeam.

2. I am going to install HIT on Veeam server to use MPIO towards my SAN, so I can backup using all 4 iSCSI dedicated NICs (with Least Queue Depth policy), what is your experience about use of HIT? Any other way to configure multipath to SAN LUNs?
Could be this interfere with tape library connected via iSCSI too?

2. Customer wants to perform a full backup to Tape only every 6 months. I would like to use "Forver incremental", so I will have a retention of 6 months, 180 days. What happens when I will run "Backup to tape" job? Does Veeam perform a syntetic full on Tape, consolidating all 180 incremental? In this case, it's better to use Reverse Incremental, so latest backup is yet the full one?

Thanks to everybody for any suggesion.

Angelo
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam, Dell Equallogic and Tape Dell TL 2000

Post by veremin »

Should I use exclusive or non-exclusive drivers? Library will be used only by Veeam.
Correct.
Customer wants to perform a full backup to Tape only every 6 months.
Should a tape job be running during the other months and copying increments or not? In the latter case, you can set 6 month schedule for a backup to tape job (choose monthly, and just two months in "months" window), the same schedule should be applied to synthesized full (backup to tape job settings -> media pool -> schedule).

Thanks.
angelov72
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by angelov72 »

Correct.
Sorry, correct what? exclusive or non exclusive?
Should a tape job be running during the other months and copying increments or not? In the latter case, you can set 6 month schedule for a backup to tape job (choose monthly, and just two months in "months" window), the same schedule should be applied to synthesized full (backup to tape job settings -> media pool -> schedule).
A tape job will run only on that two months, so I will follow your guidance.

Thanks

Angelo
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I must have hurried up. Non-exclusive drivers should be installed.