Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jb1095
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jon Brite

Multiple VMWare Backup Proxys on same server?

Post by jb1095 »

Is it possible to have multiple Vmware backup proxys on the same server? The reason I ask is our current proxy is configured for the "Network" transport mode and I believe many of the jobs will run much faster if they are using the Virtual Appliance transport mode. I inquired as to why it was set up this way to begin with and was told that we were advised a long time ago to just use Network Transport mode as the other modes caused problems backing up Exchange.

My thought is to build another Backup Proxy and point some of the bigger jobs to it to see if they indeed run faster as we are on 10GBE everything here, so the speeds should be far more than what we are seeing.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Multiple VMWare Backup Proxys on same server?

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello Jon,
Installation of several proxies on the same server is not possible and doesn`t make a lot of sense.
However, it is recommended to use multiple proxies to optimize performance of several concurrent jobs, it should be different dedicated Windows servers.
In this case, Veeam B&R will distribute the backup workload between available backup proxies.
This article helps to understand difference between transport modes.
Thanks.
jb1095
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jon Brite

Post by jb1095 »

Shestakov wrote:Hello Jon,
Installation of several proxies on the same server is not possible and doesn`t make a lot of sense.
However, it is recommended to use multiple proxies to optimize performance of several concurrent jobs, it should be different dedicated Windows servers (physical or virtual).
In this case, Veeam B&R will distribute the backup workload between available backup proxies.
This article helps to understand difference between transport modes.
Thanks.

Yeah after putting some logical thought into it, I realized it didn't make sense. We actually had a 2008 server we used to originally try Veeam B&R, so I just fired up that server and used it. I will let Veeam choose the best backup proxy and mode to use but the new one I configured is set to Automatic, so we will see which one is used on the next job run(Job itself is set to automatically use the best proxy available).
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Sounds good!
Note that you can also use VM as a proxy server. This way you will have a Virtual Appliance transport mode.
Thanks.