Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DaveBristolIT
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dave Hamer

Bored of Ghost Disks

Post by DaveBristolIT »

One of our clients is having major issues with Ghost disks - left behind by Veeam after a job is cancelled, interrupted, or fails.

This VM is supposed to have 3 disks...

Because of this, the replicas then fail because there is an "invalid snapshot configuration" because the disks are attached to another machine.

I know that ideally we would find the cause of the failing jobs, however some jobs simply run far too long and we have to cancel them.

Veeam is 8.0.0.917 and VMWare is 5.5U2

I thought after reading this article: http://www.veeam.com/blog/8-gems-in-vee ... unter.html I thought that Veeam had put a feature in to stop this, but this doesn't seem to be working. Surely you guys know what configuration a machine was in before a backup started and are able to put the same configuration back afterwards? It's thoroughly frustrating!

Any input appreciated,

Dave
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Bored of Ghost Disks

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dave,

Yes, you've correctly stated that original issue should be investigated deeper if you want to avoid these situations. As I correctly understand your configuration, you're using hotadd proxy servers, right? Have you considered switching to network mode, until you find the reason for disks not being removed from the proxy server?

P.S. As regards snapshot hunter feature, then this should detect snapshot on your source VMs and then try to consolidate it, this cannot re-attach disks back to the original VM.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Vitaliy is correct - the above issue has nothing to deal with snapshots, so Snapshot Hunter functionality is irrelevant here. This needs to be investigated closer with support. Is this a proxy VM on your screenshot, by any chance? Thanks.
DaveBristolIT
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dave Hamer

Post by DaveBristolIT »

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for the responses, another morning, another 8 ghost disks... Yep - this is indeed a ProxyVM, there are actually 3-4 but this one seems to be getting punished the most at the moment

Last night the backup job failed with the following errors:

This happened because Veeam had somehow registered two of each replica, so yesterday I had to manually clear up all of the replicas, and apparently the mappings were incorrect. However, it is interesting that this was the failure that caused the ghost disks - is there a bug in the cleanup routine of a failed job due to mapping targets?

Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

DaveBristolIT wrote:However, it is interesting that this was the failure that caused the ghost disks - is there a bug in the cleanup routine of a failed job due to mapping targets?
I haven't seen any similar cases with v8, so first of all, I would make sure you're have all latest updates installed to your vSphere infrastructure, and then switch to network processing mode while investigating this issue with technical support team. Thanks!
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Post by pufferdude »

I, too, am having lots of trouble with "ghost" disks, and only since V8 Patch 2. In my case I'm replicating 2 VMs across a 50Mb fiber wan... a configuration that has worked well for a couple of years. But after upgrading to patch2 I can't get this particular job stable.

It starts with the replication job failing (after several nights of good replications) with "Error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[datastore1] arena1_replica_mid/arena1-000007.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [false] ) Failed to open virtual disk Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [vcentervm.mydomain.com];Port: 443;Login: [root@localos];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-19505];Snapshot mor: [snapshot-20408];Transports: [hotadd:nbd];Read Only: [false]] failed because of the following errors: Failed to open disk for write. Failed to download disk. Reconnectable protocol device was closed. Failed to upload disk."

And then subsequent attempts of the same job fail with: "Processing arena1 Error: Detected an invalid snapshot configuration. Processing Gringotts-ACS Error: A general system error occurred: Failed to lock the file" and when I look at the proxy VM at the replica site it has both drives for arena1 and Gringotts-ACS still mounted and I have to disconnect them from the proxy manually.

If I delete everything on the replication datastore and start the job fresh again, it works for a few nights and then the same loop happens.

YES, I will open a case with support, but wanted to put this here as it seems very similar to the OPs issue. Something about patch2 changed the way my replication jobs work over the wan, and they ain't happy. :cry:
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jim, thanks for posting to existing topic, please let me know your case ID, so that I could update this topic with a resolution later.