Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mc76
Novice
Liked: never

Backup to Tape

Post by mc76 »

Hi, i have a "forever incremental backup" to NAS with a retention of 28 days.
I need to make a montly backup to tape, on last saturady of month, with the full and all the incremental backup of that month... Can you help me?
Thank you and sorry for my bad english!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup to Tape

Post by veremin »

Create a backup to tape job, make it process both full and incremental backups, and specify monthly schedule for it (monthy -> Last Saturday). As to media pool settings, setup there retention and media set settings that answer your requirements. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi and welcome to the forums!
If you want to backup VMs to tape, need to schedule Backup to Tape Job to run every day with a Full backup on the last Saturday of each month.
However, if you want to copy backup files to tape, the way to do is File to tape job running Full backup monthly with no increments.
Is your goal to copy backup files to tape or to create VM-to-tape backups? Thanks.
mc76
Novice

Post by mc76 »

Shestakov wrote:Hi and welcome to the forums!
If you want to backup VMs to tape, need to schedule Backup to Tape Job to run every day with a Full backup on the last Saturday of each month.
However, if you want to copy backup files to tape, the way to do is File to tape job running Full backup monthly with no increments.
Is your goal to copy backup files to tape or to create VM-to-tape backups? Thanks.
thank you, my goal is create vm to tape backup and to preserve the tape on a safe place
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

So I would suggest to schedule backup to tape job with both full and incremental backups, pretty much as Vladimir mentioned above in hist post.
Thanks.
mc76
Novice

Post by mc76 »

Shestakov wrote:So I would suggest to schedule backup to tape job with both full and incremental backups, pretty much as Vladimir mentioned above in hist post.
Thanks.
Thanks.
I explain better... My goal is to have monthly 1 .vbk and 27 .vib copied to tape...
I must schedule the backup to tape job everyday or monthly?
remko.de.koning
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Remko de Koning

Post by remko.de.koning »

I hope I can jump in as well. I would like to only have the last full of each month to tape. (the grandfather). Unfortunately I am getting all .VBK's that are available that month. How can I specify only the last .VBK?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

mc76 wrote:I explain better... My goal is to have monthly 1 .vbk and 27 .vib copied to tape...
Correct, if you schedule the job to run once a month and to copy both increments and Full, all restore points will be copied to the tape.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I explain better... My goal is to have monthly 1 .vbk and 27 .vib copied to tape...
I must schedule the backup to tape job everyday or monthly?
It can be either way.
How can I specify only the last .VBK?
There are two ways to achieve that.

Thanks.
remko.de.koning
Enthusiast

There are two ways to achieve that.
My apologies, I might be misunderstanding the explanation given in the link. We have reversed incremental backups and every third Monday, Tuesday, etc. we have real fulls of various servers. The last Saturday or Sunday of the month I want to put a full backup to tape. However, I have two full's in the month. One synthetic and one real full.
How does one configure to only backup the latest .vbk to tape? Now it always takes both .vbk files.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it. In this case, a files to tape job with a PS script (that sets the latest .vbk as job source) specified as a pre-job command seems like the way to go.
remko.de.koning
Enthusiast

Thanks, but..... how does one go about doing this? What happened to the regular GFS backup schedules?
I've heard that Veeam has made some powerfull Powershell add-ons but I have never played with these.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

What happened to the regular GFS backup schedules?
GFS retention is currently available for backup copy jobs, but you seem to be using backup job as a source for tape job. So, I'm not sure what GFS you're talking about.
I've heard that Veeam has made some powerfull Powershell add-ons but I have never played with these.
We do have PowerShell snap-in, using which you can automate variety of VB&R activities. Feel free to create a new thread in corresponding subforum in case you need assistance with scripting.

Thanks.