Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Editing a v7 vLab after the underlying host has been renamed

Post by pkelly_sts »

Following some domain consolidation work some time ago, whilst we were upgrading our ESXi hosts we shifted them from the old to new DNS domains. I've just realised that this impacts our SureBackup job as the vLabs are tied to hosts & thus dependent on DNS names as well.

If I try to edit the properties of a vLab to change the host is basically just moans that the host was not found so I'm unable to edit.

Am I going to have to delete & re-create the vLabs etc? This can be a pain as I remember that (on our network) it took some head-scratching to get it going correctly in the first place so I'd prefer to avoid it if at all possible.

Any suggestions appreicated...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Editing a v7 vLab after the underlying host has been ren

Post by foggy »

Actually this could impact not only SureBackup but all other jobs as well. Have you re-added hosts to Veeam B&R or re-scanned vCenter server, if they are managed by it?
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

I did have to re-scan the hosts, the backup jobs are (now) fine. We actually made the changes a little while ago but it's only now I realised/noticed the SureBackup job was failing as it only runs monthly anyway (was more a proof of concept before making more extensive use of the feature).

So, everything else is fine (thanks for checking), just need to figure out what to do with the vlabs...
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ok, glad to hear that. Regarding virtual lab, unfortunately, there's no way currently to change the host via UI, the wizard connects to the infrastructure resources specified earlier and doesn't allow to proceed if some of them are not accessible. I will check whether you can edit the lab config manually somehow.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Thanks foggy, look forward to the reply.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Looks like there's no easy workaround for this and you would have to re-create the lab. I don't think you will face any issues if you just thoroughly copy all the settings from the old one.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Sorry, meant to come back to this sooner (I still never get ANY notifications of replies to my topics here for some reason?)

Copying the existing settings would be my next move, the problem is I can't open the existing vLab to obtain the "last known good" settings because it just errors immediately & won't open properties.

I do have some notes I made when setting them up but I can't guarantee that they were the last state of the vLab after I stopped configuring it (took me a bit of head-scratching to get some of the vLab stuff working, specifically around the masquerading side of things!).

Is there any other way to obtain the current/last settings from a vLab in this situation?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I cannot think of any way to do this. Virtual lab settings are not stored in some simple format in a single place, so not easily accessible. We will look into this further though, when QC have spare resources for that.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Understood, thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not sure whether it is going to work, but you can ask support team to look for those settings inside the product database (if that's possible, of course) and copy them from there. Thanks.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I've already deleted them & will be re-creating them shortly. Oh well :)
gmeurb
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Urbaniak

[MERGED] Changing Host from Virtual Lab

Post by gmeurb »

Hello all,

i´ve some problems to change host from some virtual Labs. The possibility to choose another Host is not active.

Next question, if possible what is the impact to change to another Host? Anything to do before changing?

Thanks and regards
Eric
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Eric, there's no ability to change the host your lab resides on, you should re-create the lab.