Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
NashBrydges
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Encrypted Data Transfer During Endpoint Backup

Post by NashBrydges »

Hi All,

I noticed that as Veeam Endpoint Backup run through the process, there's a step that states that the "network traffic will be encrypted". I've been testing running Veeam EBU Free from a remote location over VPN to my local Veeam B&R backup infrastructure. Is this only because I am targeting Veeam B&R for backup location or will it encrypt network traffic even if it backs-up to a network share? I tested connectivity without a VPN and I was also able to get a backup going however decided against it since I wasn't sure the backup would be encrypted in transit outside a VPN. Could someone confirm if the backup traffic is ALWAYS encrypted, whether via network share or with Veeam B&R as a target destination?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Encrypted Data Transfer During Endpoint Backup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Traffic encryption happens between Veeam components, so it will only work if you target your backup job to Veeam backup repository. On a side note, if you want to target some CIFS share on the remote site, I believe you still will use a VPN connection to reach it, right?
NashBrydges
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by NashBrydges »

Yes definitely continue to use VPNs for offsite CIFS folders.

But I wanted to confirm...I understand your response to mean that if I target a Veeam B&R repository offsite, that traffic is definitely encrypted? Great news!!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, if the IP address does not belong to you local network traffic is automatically encrypted. Also you have this option to use within the same LAN > Enabling Network Data Encryption