Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
schellh
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Uli Schellhaas

Encryption for Endpoint Backup

Post by schellh »

Hello,

i think your Release aims a bit at Acronis, since they offer VM Infrastructure Backups which was your Domain.
So, i have both products installed, i am missing:
encryption of my backup files on local storage.
splitting of the backup files.
maybe compression (?)

You may take this as an feature request. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Encryption for Endpoint Backup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Compression is available in the product. Can you please clarify your request regarding splitting backup files? As regards encryption capability, then please review our existing topic for info > Feature Request - data encryption

Thank you!
schellh
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Uli Schellhaas

Post by schellh »

Hello,

we have Veeam for Vsphere Enterprise, and i have a repository, sure, but i thought you want to make clients happy by providing free snapshot based Backup for home-users.
So, i would need Protection of the Backup residing on my - lets say 2nd harddisk of my laptop at home. for restore reasons i cannot bitlocker it, so the archive needs to be protected.
Thats the same reason with file splitting, maybe i cannot copy ~300gb "in a piece" or need to burn it to bluray or dvd. It should be encryptable without repository, and it should be splittable for easier copy procedure.

+ Multiple schedules for multiple Volumes etc and you 0wn acronis *g

thanks for the time
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

schellh wrote:o, i would need Protection of the Backup residing on my - lets say 2nd harddisk of my laptop at home. for restore reasons i cannot bitlocker it, so the archive needs to be protected. Thats the same reason with file splitting, maybe i cannot copy ~300gb "in a piece" or need to burn it to bluray or dvd. It should be encryptable without repository, and it should be splittable for easier copy procedure.
Oh...ok, I agree on the encryption use case, please take a look at currently available workarounds Veeam Endpoint Backup and Truecrypt. As regards splitting backup files, then you potentially use some 3rd party tools (for example, 7zip) when you need to burn it to the DVD media. I do remember similar queries from other users about splitting, so thank you for your feature request.
schellh wrote:+ Multiple schedules for multiple Volumes etc and you 0wn acronis *g
Thanks! :) And you're not the only one who would like to see this functionality > Feature Request - Multiple Jobs