Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Adding Tape Library to VBR

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I have a Dell TL2000 connected to a physical Server 2003 R2 machine that currently runs Symantec BackupExec v12. I have a VM with VBR latest patched version running in the environment also. Before I turn off Symantec completely I need to verify I can take my VBR backup jobs and copy them onto tape for offsite rotation. I added the physical 2003 R2 server to VBR under Tape Infrastructure and it connects and shows the physical tape drive. Once the IBM ULT3580-HH5 (Tape 0) was added I browsed and it said it was empty. I cannot add any media pools because it says there is nothing there. Now I know the tape drive works because its running Symantec jobs each day.

How can I get this connected to Veeam so I can run a few tests before moving all my jobs onto this? Also, using Tape is a huge step back for me, as I have always used USB in other installations. Currently I cannot change the infrastructure but need to get it working with what we have. My tape knowledge is limited so be easy on me!

Thanks for any help.
VMCE v9
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Adding Tape Library to VBR

Post by veremin »

It the very same library that is being leveraged by Symantec, right? If so, Symantec components, such as drivers, services, etc. prevent library from working properly with VB&R. If the device happens to support partitioning, then, split the library into several ones and provide one to VB&R solely. Thanks.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

On a basic level it makes sense, on a detail level I have no idea how to do that! I will have to dig into the tape system a little further to try it out. Thanks for the reply.
VMCE v9
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It's just a matter of whether or not the partitioning functionality is include in the library. Usage of it allows you to split the device into multiple independent devices and provide them to different backup software to be used separately. In most cases, it should not be that hard to do that.

Thanks.