Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
AppManagerLover
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Staniel Barten

Monitoring Log Activity

Post by AppManagerLover »

Hi there,

First post, so please bear with me. I'm interested to know if anyone's used the Veeam MP to verify that ESXi host logs are being written. We had an outage on a host recently, and were unable to do any root cause analysis, as the vmkernel log hadn't been written for several months. I'd like to have a simple monitor in place to make sure that, at a base level, the vmkernel log is being written to, and is relatively fresh (i.e. if there hasn't been a single log write in the previous 24 hours, we'd like to know about it).

Anyone know if this is something that the MP can do for me? I'm not concerned (at the moment) about the content of the vmkernel logs, just that they are at least being written.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Monitoring Log Activity

Post by Mike Resseler »

Staniel,

Can you have a look at this document: http://veeampdf.s3.amazonaws.com/guide/ ... uide_7.pdf starting from page 159. If I am not mistaken (but not a VMware guy...) you should be able to do something with the IPMI system log event. But again, my knowledge on VMware is limited :-)

Thanks

Mike
AppManagerLover
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Staniel Barten

Re: Monitoring Log Activity

Post by AppManagerLover »

Thanks Mike,

I'll look into this, but initial research into IPMI suggests that it's more aimed at integrating with the platform hardware from a monitoring perspective, rather than inspecting the OS behavior. I'll do more reading and report back, however, and am grateful for any pointers here!