Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jluce
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: John Luce

SQL Log Backup

Post by jluce »

We are looking at performing SQL Log Backups of one of our SQL servers who is very busy. I wanted to be sure I have this correct.
1. We can choose which databases we want backed up by in this manner by simply putting a database in FULL Recovery Mode. Those not in Full Recovery Mode as backed up via VSS? I've read a bit and see the Enable DBExclusion mentioned in concert with the Log SHipping method. Am I confusing something here?
2. We use normally are backing up via Virtual Appliance mode (which happens to run on a separate VLAN), however those SQL logs will have to reach the Repository via the OS or a separate Log Shipment server, so it should be expected that once we enable SQL Log Backup that my normal traffic will increase based on the frequency of backup.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SQL Log Backup

Post by foggy »

jluce wrote:1. We can choose which databases we want backed up by in this manner by simply putting a database in FULL Recovery Mode. Those not in Full Recovery Mode as backed up via VSS? I've read a bit and see the Enable DBExclusion mentioned in concert with the Log SHipping method. Am I confusing something here?
This registry value enables UI option that allows to entirely exclude databases from VSS processing.
jluce wrote:2. We use normally are backing up via Virtual Appliance mode (which happens to run on a separate VLAN), however those SQL logs will have to reach the Repository via the OS or a separate Log Shipment server, so it should be expected that once we enable SQL Log Backup that my normal traffic will increase based on the frequency of backup.
Logs can be shipped either via network or via VIX.
jluce
Enthusiast

Post by jluce »

If I am reading this correctly then, SQL Log Backup is performed on those DBs that are in Full Recovery mode only on the SQL server being backed up? What happens to those databases that are not in Full Recovery mode?

Is there any way to force VIX shipping or does the system determine this on its own?

Thanks in Advance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

jluce wrote:If I am reading this correctly then, SQL Log Backup is performed on those DBs that are in Full Recovery mode only on the SQL server being backed up?
Correct.
jluce wrote:What happens to those databases that are not in Full Recovery mode?
Nothing, in terms of logs truncation (in Simple mode logs are managed by SQL server itself).
jluce wrote:Is there any way to force VIX shipping or does the system determine this on its own?
VIX is used (both for logs backup and entire VM backup) in case VM is not available on the network. There's a registry value that inverts that order.
jluce
Enthusiast

Post by jluce »

Just one more question.. how do the logs in the Full Recovery Mode then get truncated then?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

For the databases in Full Recovery mode the corresponding logs will be handled in accordance with the settings you specify. Thanks.