Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
alkes
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Smith

XML error when veeam backup tries to access virtual center

Post by alkes »

We are running veeam backup version 4.1 and have virtual center 4 build 208111 and they have been working just fine together until last Thursday when veeam failed with all jobs saying xml error.

Was wondering if anyone has seen this before?

If we try to do anything that requires veeam backup to enumerate the virtual center machines it fails with the following error.
"There is an error in XML document (7,305301).
Unable to read data from the transport connection: The connection was closed.

Having tried the usual of reboot, apply latest patch, make sure the firewalls are not blocking ports etc, we have opened a call with Veeam but so far, no luck in a solution.
All other virtual center services seems to be working, for example, veeam monitor running on the same server can connect just fine and we can use the web interface to virtual center fine as well.

Any thoughts gratefully accepted.

Andrew
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: XML error when veeam backup tries to access virtual center

Post by Gostev »

Hi Andrew, no I don't recall similar issues reported before. Please send full logs from Help | Support information to support@veeam.com so that our technical staff could troubleshoot this and tell you the reason.
alkes
Lurker
Full Name: Andrew Smith

Post by alkes »

Yeah, have a call open with support, our logs are currently with the developers, was hoping that maybe someone had come across this and solved it as well.
VirtualBoy
Novice
Full Name: Roy

Post by VirtualBoy »

Did you ever get a resolution to this? I've got the same issue here and just opened a call also. Same version as you. Seems to have ocurred after a couple hosts were updated to vSphere.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Roy,

I've just checked for this issue at our support tracking system. As far as I see the issue was related to incorrect vCenter configuration. Could you please try adding upgraded hosts to Veeam console by IP address and run a test job with VMs added from standalone hosts. This will help to nail down the reason for your issue.

Thank you!
VirtualBoy
Novice
Full Name: Roy

Post by VirtualBoy »

:D Ok - thanks for the hint. You helped me figure it out before Veeam or Vmware's support called me back. The issue was a Host was not connected correctly in VC - even though VC showed it correctly. I disconnected/reconnected each host and one of them errored out the first time- forcing me to go through the wizard to reconnect it in VC. Once I did that I could connect with Veeam and it more importantly fixed my View Composer issue with deploying desktops again.

Much thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Good to hear that you're up and running now! Thank you for sharing your troubleshooting steps. It will be useful for other Veeam community members who might face the same issue :)